The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are your's? I was thinking we might have more deer in the woods this year due to Covid. Less road kill with the lower traffic from March through now. I am pulling my card this weekend after three weeks. Hoping to see some good traffic. Then, I plan to move the camera to another location.

·
Registered
580 Posts
I saw more guys/trucks during turkey season then I ever have. I’m gonna guess deer season will see similar pressure due to Covid and people being out of work or working remotely

·
Premium Member
23,851 Posts
I just hope that the addition of 3 Sundays to the mix will get more hunters in the woods!! Last couple years seeing a hunter in the areas I hunt was a rarity. Need more hunters to get game moving. I think the biggest increase of activity will be the Saturday Deer & Bear Openers with Sunday added providing continuous/unbroken days of opportunity. Should especially help the upstate camp occupancy in those seasons.

·
Registered
9,139 Posts
Don’t have a clue at the moment. Haven’t been doing any glassing or scouting for the last couple months. Spent a lot of money on hunting gear though . Probably could of used a intervention. Anyhow I am anticipating a better year than last year because for whatever reason last season was one of the worst seasons I ever had as a bow hunter.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Roadkill is definitely an immaterial impact where I hunt. I expect there will be a ton of hunting pressure. Turkey season was a five ring circus with the Rona effect.

I never scout much in the summer but looking forward to ramping it up as soon as it starts getting fall-like.

New job this year I am probably going to only have one week vacation compared to usually taking two. I am probably going to take off the new last week this year. It works a lot better for my work schedule having a 15th month close deadline and I believe more big bucks are on their feet in the mid to later stage of the rut.

·
Registered
18,621 Posts
I lost one of my go to spots and am about to lose another as it is up for sale. If someone has a spare 750,000 grand and wants to buy a prime piece of hunting property in 2A, I will point you in the right direction. The catch is you have to grant me hunting rights, lol.

·
Registered
7,565 Posts
..I have never seen so much roadkill than this year up here in Erie county..we're talking May , June and July...

Reactions: JJ4D

·
Registered
710 Posts
I agree on the traffic roadkill effect in my area. New Trail cameras should be Here today so we will see.

Considering hunting Jersey this year to kill a summer pattern buck.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Season expectation....boy, that's something I have not given any real thought to until I saw this post. I guess these are at the top of my list.

1. Stay safe and no accidents, falls, injuries.
2. Enjoy myself and really soak in the awesomeness that are the PA big woods/hill country.
3. Take ethical shots
4. Try not to doze off at 11am on a bitter cold early November morning when the sun finally make it to my stand.

So far, I'm in the best shape I've been in since I was in my early 20's (I'll thank my doctor for half of that) so I plan on really getting in deep where the big boys live and put a ton of time into this season. I have 3 whole weeks of vacation to dedicate to archery hunting this year so I'm certain I will have a lot of fun.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
..I have never seen so much roadkill than this year up here in Erie county..we're talking May , June and July...
Same thing down here in Blair county. TONS of roadkill. More than I have seen since I moved to the area.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
I just hope that the addition of 3 Sundays to the mix will get more hunters in the woods!! Last couple years seeing a hunter in the areas I hunt was a rarity. Need more hunters to get game moving. I think the biggest increase of activity will be the Saturday Deer & Bear Openers with Sunday added providing continuous/unbroken days of opportunity. Should especially help the upstate camp occupancy in those seasons.
Having guys in the woods moving deer around is CRUCIAL in most SGL's during rifle season. This past season had some of the lowest hunter participation I have ever seen. I'm talking archery straight through the two weeks of rifle. Heck, I was one of 2 or 3 trucks the entire day of the archery opener. That's just sad (but great for me :cool: )

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
I lost one of my go to spots and am about to lose another as it is up for sale. If someone has a spare 750,000 grand and wants to buy a prime piece of hunting property in 2A, I will point you in the right direction. The catch is you have to grant me hunting rights, lol.
Sorry to hear this.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
What are your's? I was thinking we might have more deer in the woods this year due to Covid. Less road kill with the lower traffic from March through now. I am pulling my card this weekend after three weeks. Hoping to see some good traffic. Then, I plan to move the camera to another location.

·
Registered
491 Posts
I expect more deer in the woods from the last two mild winters plus during rifle there were almost no hunters in the SGL I hunt. If more people are working from home it may translate into more people in the woods too.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
[JuQUOTE="treemouse, post: 3835573, member: 43852"]
Just hoping to hunt this year. Our grown daughter was in wreck on Nov. 16, and had to be Life Lion flown to the Hershey Med. Center. She was in a coma almost a month. She spent months at the Med center and then re-hab. hospital. She's here with us now and slowly getting back to normal (we hope and pray). We're taking care of our house and her house. Plus all her rescue dogs. Paying her utilities, etc. so she don't lose her home. Legal filings (temp. guardianship) with attorneys/court so creditors don't take her home. Her boss put her on FMLA after all her leave and sick leave were used. Hopefully she's back in her house by end of year, and can get back to normal life things again.
[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
129 Posts
I spent to much time trying to figure out some new spots last year rather than focusing on the sign or lack of sign and was never in the game. Some scouting earlier this year and I'm feeling a lot better about this fall.
I'm going to try to get into the woods as much as I can while balancing my job and family. I found some new spots on the way to work so that I can get in some morning hunts when time allows and should have a good amount of vacation time to use during the season. Expecting a great season.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts