The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
I am looking for a place on the western side of the state to hunt squirrels- specifically blondes, piebalds, the semi rare black or the mighty rare white color phases. I have heard that you can be lucky and find them anywhere, (they are just mutant greys afterall) but can be found in greater numbers in some areas. I am looking for an area with a higher likelihood of having some.
If anyone could point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated.
I am always on the lookout for something a little different, be it deer or squirrels (or anything else odd that I can legally and ethically hunt).
I live 15 minutes North-ish of Pittsburgh, but am happy to travel 2 or 3 hours to be in a known 'good' area.
Thanks and good luck out in the field! (or up in a tree)

Shoot me a PM or reply to this post if you have any insight into my search.
Thanks!!

·
Registered
18,627 Posts
I have never seen a black or white one in 30 years of hunting Greene, Washington and Allegheny Counties. Can't help you there.

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
One behind the house, you cant kill it though, lives in a safety zone. Hes got half a tail anyhow.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Had a black one around my stand in 2G saturdya evening. Got a video of it. My brother also shot one up their on th eyouth squirrel hunt and saw another. I would say about 5% of the squirrels up in the area of our cabin are black used to be rare but nowadays we see one or two a hunt.

·
4,230 Posts
I see about 5 black squirrels a day in my back yard but never a white or blonde.

Have seen a blonde at the taxidermist though, pretty neat.

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
Ive seen one white in 20 years. I even stopped a fall turkey hunt to try to get him, didnt work out.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
See good bit of black ones in 2G, I've shot 2 and got em mounted. Seen two white ones bout 15yrs ago in 5B but only ever seen em once!

·
Registered
13,867 Posts
Is this what happens when they have offspring?

·
Registered
78 Posts
We have two semi white ones that live in my neighbors oak trees. One has a tail that is completely white and the other has a white tip of the tail. There is another all grey one that has a real short tail. Its been like that since it was a little guy.

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
you want to see black squirrels? go to the campus of Kent State University. A friend of mine coaches there and when I went to visit I saw over 50 all black squirrels. I am not sure if my buddy was correct but he informed me they are a variation of the common grey squirrel.

·
Registered
4,139 Posts
I've been hunting for 43 years and had never seen a black one until this spring trout fishing. the spot is about a mile from my house and I plan on being there with my .36 cal muzzleloader. sorry wish I could help you out!

·
Registered
4,908 Posts
You can fill up the back of a pickup truck with squirrels hunting in 2A, but i have never seen a black one.

·
Registered
463 Posts
anyone know if color variation can happen with fox squirrels too?

1 - 20 of 48 Posts