The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone willing to share their scrapple recipe with me? It will be made of deer, just looking for a good one to try out of the gates. Also, anyone know where to get some reasonable scrapple (bread pans). Thanks in advance

·
Registered
6,414 Posts
2 deer carcass in a iron kettle.Boil till meat is off the bone.Ladle meat and bones off.Put broth in plastic bucket and cool outside.When cool,ladle fat off for lean scrapple.If you don't care just strain the broth and return broth to kettle.
The meat and bones....pick thru getting all the bones and bone chips out.Put meat thru grinder once.Should give about 5 gal of meat.
Bring broth back to boil and add ground meat.
Add 10 lb flour,8 lb cornmeal,10 oz salt and 4-6 oz pepper depending how peppery you like it.
Stir with kettle stir till it pulls off the kettle.
Ladle into pans.We have used reg scrapple pans or a couple huge pans and just cut down when cool.You can get a bunch of those Aluminum pans if you want to use them.
For us it makes about 22 double scrapple pans.
Going to be making another batch here in Feb. some time.
Might be looking for a couple extra guys to stir and learn.

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
here is 1 I tried this year.. I did not include the Sausage... used only 2 pounds of ground deer burger...

DEER SCRAPPLE

1 lb. ground deer
1 lb. sausage
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1 1/2 tsp. pepper
1 tsp. sage
1/2 tsp. cayenne
2 c. water
2 c. cornmeal
2 c. milk

In a large skillet heat sausage over low heat breaking it apart with spoon or spatula. Add ground deer and seasonings. Stir. Break up ground deer and sausage until meat is in small pieces, do not fry meat! Add water. Bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer until sausage and deer are done. Stir in milk.
Over medium heat, add cornmeal slowly, stirring constantly. Bring just to a boil. Reduce heat, simmer 25 to 30 minutes or until thick. Pour into greased loaf pan, chill until firm. Slice into 1/4 or 1/2 inch slices. Dredge in cornmeal. Fry over medium heat in bacon grease or cooking oil until lightly browned on both sides.

If you like it Spicey... change the spices to this... 2 1/2 tsp. pepper
2 tsp. sage
1 tsp. cayenne

·
Registered
6,414 Posts
Maybe if I have some intrested guys,we'll have a good ole' fashon scrappe making party.Gather round the iron kettle boys!

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
410-er said:
Maybe if I have some intrested guys,we'll have a good ole' fashon scrappe making party.Gather round the iron kettle boys!
You throwing a hint out there

When you planning on doing it?

Let me know... been awhile since I stood around a cook kettle....Kinda Miss it!

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Ya can't make real Pa Dutch scrapple without coriander and black pepper!!!

·
Registered
6,414 Posts
Probably mid Feb.Might put a post up looking for those wanting to learn.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
I'll volunteer for the feb get together....I'll be the taste tester !!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts