The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last winter found large scrapes 18in wide by 4ft long,big coyote track right in the middle just like a buck would do.Today found a scrape in same spot.Is this for mating or territory?Distress calls not working,thinking of howling to bring him in.

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
I have a few trail cam pics of a few foxes rolling in a scrape that I made and tended with a dripper. I think some predators do that to cover their scent. Not sure, but that is my two pennies.

·
Premium Member
24,077 Posts
I think it's to mark it's territory. Did you ever see a dog take a pee then scratch the ground with it's back feet? Same thing.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I've seen that before. It was in late December/January. It was on the east side of a big ridge that we figured divided coyote territories. My hunting buddy and I saw two different sets of coyote tracks on and near this scrape, one large, one smaller, two different urine marks in the snow and fresh poo within ten yards We never had any luck hunting there but it may be due to the fact that that mountain was on an extreme edge of a packs territory.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Yea these animals probly think summer is coming, at this rate i too think it is.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Have you seen what a coyote will do if you "mark" over that spot? They go nuts remarking it! Ground is all scratched and marked with pee and poo.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts