The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

81 - 100 of 127 Posts

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Here is my plan for one of the areas I hunt. Not sure who sits in that stand to the east of me. The wind is all wrong for that. You can see my entry route on the west side with the dotted black line.
This I believe...I've seen the bucks you shoot. In fact I found the left side shed off your number 1 hit lister from last year. Looks like he survived for you to match wits with again this season. >:)

Attachments

·
Registered
509 Posts
Tbrom,
Awesome illustration of how you get it done! Best posts I've seen!! Must read for every hunter! Can't say enough!

My wheels are spinning trying to visualize where or how I could apply these tactics. The newest piece of public ground I've been hunting is the best for water sources and other diverse habitat structure. Other than that I hunt mountain settings. I'm trying to imagine use of structure or habitat in the mountains better than I have to this point. My bed hunting- finding where they bed for entry and exit, where to place stands and hunting the military crest of a ridge has been pretty effective but I believe there's room for improvement. I need to better find pinch points in the mountains. Be more flexible, diversify my skills.

Again, great post!

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Transitioning now from scouting to stand hanging (and area prepping). 20 days until the youth spring gobbler opener and I need to get 10 stands hung and 5 ground blind sites prepped in the interim. Will be hunting two private properties in 1A and one public in 1B. Will use ground blinds on the public and got a couple of those sites prepped today. Will not return until its time to hunt. Trail cams go up in July. Done for another year.
Really struggling to get stand sites prepared for archery season this year. I used to be able to prep and hang multiple stands in a single day, and now it takes me up to 3 days to get one ready. :tired: I reckon it's only going to get worse? Took me 3 hours to rake out a 150 yard entry route today where I can access a stream for the final 75 yard approach to the stand. Hoping to hang the stand tomorrow. I was too pooped to finish it today. Nap time now. :sleeping:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
After finishing up hanging an archery stand today I headed to another area to do some turkey recon. Stumbled upon a couple of things that made me go hmmmm. This guy must be made of money to leave his climber out all year? Not sure what the purpose of the TP stacked wood was for??? That would've been a pain to create.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,475 Posts
one other thing i'll mention, espessially for folks looking for new areas to hunt. Might seem lazy, bit i do alot of road scouting. Cut in trails crossing roads mean lots of deer, and with some snow on i look for areas with alot of obvious activity. Get out and walk those trails to see where they come from or go to. If theres lots of tracks in a feild, walk them back and you'll find doe bedding.

Might not exactly be scouting, but it can quickly show you where to start more in depth scouting.

..bingo

·
Registered
7,475 Posts
Really struggling to get stand sites prepared for archery season this year. I used to be able to prep and hang multiple stands in a single day, and now it takes me up to 3 days to get one ready. :tired: I reckon it's only going to get worse? Took me 3 hours to rake out a 150 yard entry route today where I can access a stream for the final 75 yard approach to the stand. Hoping to hang the stand tomorrow. I was too pooped to finish it today. Nap time now. :sleeping:

Cool..perfect mountain bike single track....

·
Registered
9,108 Posts
Got out again today and walked 8.7 miles. Pretty tired but it feels good. Anyhow the trip was a little depressing with the weather. Felt like February out there and I have had enough of winter. Found a few good locations and what I believe to be a buck bed on the leeward side of the ridge. Actually jumped it and got a pretty good look. Good size body and nice size track. Also found a freakishly big gobbler track back there as well. I will probably go after him in May if I can get enough time. Not real impressed with the buck sign today. Didn’t find many rubs and the ones I did find looked like they were made by immature deer. Hopefully next time in the woods will feel more like spring again even though today’s cold temperatures allowed me to walk further than I normally would have.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Just wrapped up my last consulting job of the year this morning in 1A, and what a fantastic property it was. The property was a reclaimed strip area recently purchased by the client and there was some slammer sign on it. Off to hang my own stands this afternoon but can't get this property out of my head. Man I'd love to give it a go.

Attachments

·
Registered
496 Posts
Hey TBrom,
What type of consulting do you do for a living? Sounds like you have great job doing what you love. That’s a nice rub!
I took the dog out with me today scouting for a few hours in my woods behind my place. Found a nice dust bowl and some turkey sign but they’re in and out of these small tracts and never consistently in the same spot.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Hey TBrom,
What type of consulting do you do for a living? Sounds like you have great job doing what you love. That’s a nice rub!
I don't do consulting for a living. I just fell into this last fall after the season. Two years ago a couple of local acquaintances asked me to break down their 80 acre lease with recommended property enhancements and stand placement suggestions. As luck would have it they both ended up having their most successful archery seasons. Last fall they recommended me to someone else who offered to pay me for my time, so after the season I went in and laid out the property and actually did some of the chainsaw work. Now this year just through word of mouth I've had three additional people contact me to shake out their properties for bowhunting. I charge mileage and a minimal fee, but no longer do any of the actual property work. I enjoy the jeepers out of it and to date have had a grand total of 4 paying clients and 1 non paying. :smile2: But in reality it has been less than a year since the first paying client so I'm kind of surprised to have 4.

·
Registered
509 Posts
TBrom,
Well, you helped me reevaluate my hunting areas. Based on your illustrations I'm trying to figure out how to apply this in mountainous terrain. How would a buck move through my area from point A to point B with minimal effort without giving up security and allow him to check bedding and travel areas of other deer?

Most of the properties I hunt are heavily wooded mountain ridges but there are habitat or terrain features which influence movement. I'm just trying to wrap my head around wind direction, thermals, terrain or habitat and how a mature buck would come through a particular area. Side hill hunting has been good for me and not something I would abandon but a better understanding of areas they get squeezed into a bad spot would certainly help my cause.

So far, I found (1) must check new stand location in one hunting area and multiple possibilities on another hunting property.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
13,125 Posts
Sometimes bucks don't get squeezed into a funnel, but still use a natural travel corridor between A and B. Lots of these are not funnels or pinches, just obvious (relativly) connecting "links, and sometimes they are wide, big, broad, ect, and theres no "hunt here" spot like in a classic funnel setup. In those places all you can do is expect bucks to use the wind to their advantage, setup with that in mind, and hunt. After a few days you'll figure out how the bucks utilize that particular area and you'll be able to hunt them effectively.

This isn't the classic "wait til everything's perfect and kill him on the first sit" strategery, cus most of what I call "travel corridors" are too big and many don't have a classic funnel. But they're areas bucks use often and after you learn to find them they're great places to hunt cus bucks move thru predictably and don't hang around long, lowering your chances of getting busted.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Sometimes bucks don't get squeezed into a funnel, but still use a natural travel corridor between A and B. Lots of these are not funnels or pinches, just obvious (relativly) connecting "links, and sometimes they are wide, big, broad, ect, and theres no "hunt here" spot like in a classic funnel setup. In those places all you can do is expect bucks to use the wind to their advantage, setup with that in mind, and hunt. After a few days you'll figure out how the bucks utilize that particular area and you'll be able to hunt them effectively.

This isn't the classic "wait til everything's perfect and kill him on the first sit" strategery, cus most of what I call "travel corridors" are too big and many don't have a classic funnel. But they're areas bucks use often and after you learn to find them they're great places to hunt cus bucks move thru predictably and don't hang around long, lowering your chances of getting busted.
100% agree! This is the type of spot I found and killed a buck from last season. I did a hang and hunt on some fresh sign that I was confident was located between two bedding areas. Not wanting to stumble around and leave a bunch of ground scent, I set up on an intersection of trails for the afternoon. That afternoon and next morning I saw multiple young bucks pick their way through an area filled with blow downs about 70 yards from me. I got down around 11 and relocated where I saw the travel and found the slightest trail that was crossing other major trails and leading straight into one of the bedding areas. At 4 p.m., a buck chasing a doe tore up the woods, which I think pulled the buck I shot out of his slumber and walking straight down my trail to check the bedding area.

81 - 100 of 127 Posts