The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
19,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My scout guard isn't taking IR pics like it should. It worked prior to my putting new batteries in it but hasn't since. Is there a setting in it to turn it on and off? When I reviewed it the last time on the TV I didn't see one. I keep getting action at night but the pics are all black. I put the full amount of batteries in it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,144 Posts
You sure the batteries are good?
When I had my Scout Guard in use I had it set on 45sec. video. When my batteries were weak it would record about 15sec. of viewable picture then the other 30 sec. would be black. Batteries were weak.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,142 Posts
Check your batteries with a digital meter. Any battery that drops to 1.0 to 1.2 volt, the camera will not function properly or not at all. New batteries fresh out of the package could have a faulty one. A good brand of battery is the Durecell Copper Top or if you are using them in a cold area, the Ultimate Lithium. Copper Top test 1.55 to 1.6 volt while Lithium test 1.79 to 1.83 volt. Good luck.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. I'll try different batteries. When I put the new ones in, the IR stopped working. I used an off brand battery so they are probably junk.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
765 Posts
Yep stick with Duracells in my SG550's can get them to run all winter then the problem your having happens at the end of batt. life.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,117 Posts
Actually Duracells are known to have bad batteries. Good article over on chasingame about it. Best to use Rayovacs or Energizer. For winter, energizer lithiums are the best.


As for the Scoutguard, they don't like cold weather and are notorious for not working well when it gets cold.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
28,493 Posts
Buckethead said:
My scout guard isn't taking IR pics like it should. It worked prior to my putting new batteries in it but hasn't since. Is there a setting in it to turn it on and off? When I reviewed it the last time on the TV I didn't see one. I keep getting action at night but the pics are all black. I put the full amount of batteries in it.
Steve my scoutgaurd is in the scrap box ...i loved the camera for 3 years but it is not worth putting out now..How long you had that one?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
765 Posts
rrroae said:
Actually Duracells are known to have bad batteries. Good article over on chasingame about it. Best to use Rayovacs or Energizer. For winter, energizer lithiums are the best.


As for the Scoutguard, they don't like cold weather and are notorious for not working well when it gets cold.
Never has been my experience with my SG550'S have worked like a charm every winter all winter.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
RB-HPA said:
Buckethead said:
My scout guard isn't taking IR pics like it should. It worked prior to my putting new batteries in it but hasn't since. Is there a setting in it to turn it on and off? When I reviewed it the last time on the TV I didn't see one. I keep getting action at night but the pics are all black. I put the full amount of batteries in it.
Steve my scoutgaurd is in the scrap box ...i loved the camera for 3 years but it is not worth putting out now..How long you had that one?

I've had it a couple years but have only had it set out a few times.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,117 Posts
Antler, you might want to put up a different brand camera on the same tree as the Scoutguard. I think you'll be very surprised at the results.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
716 Posts
I still use 2 Scoutguards - Still have good luck with them but battery life is an issue. I just burned through a set of lithiums in about 3 wks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
765 Posts
rrroae said:
Antler, you might want to put up a different brand camera on the same tree as the Scoutguard. I think you'll be very surprised at the results.
You might be right. But I have done it with 2 cuddys I have the cuddys didn't even come close. Look I have three SG's the 2 550's Have been great in there performers don't miss much. The 560 i have is another story. It misses stuff all the time. The SG's are in the top three to five every year in the Trailcampro shootout. To compare an 185$ SG to a 500$ reconyx is not a real fair comparison IMO. I'm not going to spend that kind of money on a trail cam. I had them out last week 5 days 1379 pics on one and 788 pics on the other. My one cuddy I have left (nver again will I own one)had 10 pics on it the 560 i have had 39 pics on it. Ive been running cams since they first came out you get a pretty good idea of how they are performing. Im always on the lookout for better stuff and research things. I'm on chasingame and trailcampro all the time reading reviews and looking for the next great thing. So ouside of a 500$ Reconyx what would suggest I put on the tree beside my SG? I know the Reconyx is the best out there but Im not spending the cash for it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
765 Posts
2012 fall shoot out the SG actually scores better then some of the Reconyx. Chasingame will also tell you that most everything that comes from the Boly plant is good but some of the stuff coming from other plants is not.

Rank
Model
Score
Full Results

1
Reconyx HC500
95
Reconyx Results

2
Buckeye X7D
94
Buckeye Results

3
Scoutguard SG565
93
Scoutguard Results

4
Simmons 11-9421
88
Simmons Results

5
Reconyx HC600
88
Reconyx Results
6
Bushnell X-8
84
Bushnell Results

7
Spypoint Tiny Wireless²
83
Spypoint Results

8
Uway UM562
83
Uway Results

9
Barska UV562
79
Barska Results

10
Barska UV552
78
Barska Results

11
Covert Red 40
77
Covert Results

12
Reconyx HC550
77
Reconyx Results
13
Primos Super Model II
75
Primos Results

14
Stealth Cam HD Professional
72
Stealth Cam Results

15
Stealth Archer's Choice
71
Stealth Cam Results
16
Wildgame Lights Out
69
Wildgame Results

17
Uway VH200B
68
Uway Results
18
Wildview X8IR
64
Wildview Results

19
Scoutguard SG580M
62
Scoutguard Results
20
Wildgame Micro Red 6
62
Wildgame Results
21
Moultrie D55IR XT
62
Moultrie Results

22
Primos TC35 Ultra
59
Primos Results
23
Bushnell Trophy Cam HD
59
Bushnell Results
24
Bushnell Trophy Cam HD Camo
58
Bushnell Results
25
Spypoint IR-7
58
Spypoint Results
26
Spypoint Live
56
Spypoint Results
27
Hunten C35-50IR
54
Hunten Results

28
Minox DTC500
54
Minox Results

29
Bushnell Trophy Cam HD Max
53
Bushnell Results
30
Primos TC46 Ultra
52
Primos Results
31
Stealth Unit Ops
51
Stealth Cam Results
32
Cuddeback Attack IR
51
Cuddeback Results

33
Scoutguard SG860C
50
Scoutguard Results
34
Moultrie M80 Black
50
Moultrie Results
35
Moultrie M80 XT
49
Moultrie Results
36
Simmons Whitetail
47
Simmons Results
37
Cuddeback Attack
46
Cuddeback Results
38
Covert Special Ops - Code Black
45
Covert Results
39
Bushnell Trophy Cam HD Max w/ Viewer
45
Bushnell Results
40
Leupold RCX-2
43
Leupold Results

41
Uway U150
43
Uway Results
42
Eyecon Storm
37
Eyecon Results

43
Hunten C35-20IR
37
Hunten Results
44
Cuddeback Ambush
34
Cuddeback Results
45
ICO Tech TC-50
24
ICO Tech Results

46
Wildgame Red 6
20
Wildgame Results
47
Eyecon Black Widow
17
Eyecon Results
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,117 Posts
Antler said:
....So ouside of a 500$ Reconyx what would suggest I put on the tree beside my SG? I know the Reconyx is the best out there but Im not spending the cash for it.


Outside of Reconyx, the DLC Black 60 and Red 40 along with the Bushnell 119466. The Covert Red 40 is a red ir cam but produces some of the best pics out there and is a favorite of many over at chasingame. They were on sale recently at Wingsupply I believe for around $149. New models this year will have HD video with sound.


I ran a 3 camera black flash test between the Bushnell, DLC 60 and Reconyx and all cameras were very good capturing pics when they should.

http://www.chasingame.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=27679


The Scoutguards perform well in summer but once the temperature drops, they start missing pictures like crazy. It's well documenting over at chasingame and from my own tests. On the flip side, I've read quite a few people who have had their original Scoutguard 550 running for 4 years or more which is fantastic for a trail cam. They're main fault is they go into excessive sleep mode when the thermometer drops and that's when I need them the most.

I've owned 8 Scoutguards in the past. The 550, 2 560s, 565, 570, and 2 580s. I thought they were great until I put them up against a higher end cam and saw I was only getting a fraction of the pictures I should have.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,117 Posts
DLC Black 60 or Bushnell 119466.


Waiting on another member to test out the new Browning Black flash which will be $199.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,117 Posts
Cameras I would avoid for right now are:


- 2012 Primos. 2011 were good.
- all Cuddebacks
- Uway
- Wildgame
- Leupold
- most anything sold at Walmart
 
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Top