The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I graduated from Penn St in 2005. The entire time I attended, Scotia Game lands were off limit to grouse hunting, due to a grouse/habitat study. I believe it has recently ( 3-4yrs ) been open to grouse hunting. Has anyone hunted it, w/success? I tried last week and it seems that the clear cuts are to mature. Also does anyone know the results of the study?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
862 Posts
It was a waist of time... why do a Grouse study in a City. that makes no since. The study could have been done a lot better.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,462 Posts
pheasants said:
It was a waist of time... why do a Grouse study in a City. that makes no since. The study could have been done a lot better.
LOL have you ever hunted it? It Ain't no city...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,462 Posts
I hunt it all the time for rabbits, there are huge patches that are so thick you cannot hardly get through them, and if there is no snow on the ground you can't see the rabbits. you must have been in a bad spot. It's all patchwork with differing ages of cuts...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,436 Posts
I hunted it once, seen some grouse. I never seen the study results. The only thing it resulted in the day I was there was ALOT of ticks. I will never hunt it again, so have at it!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
75 Posts
I hunted it for the first time this fall - was a nice little day trip from where I live. I would disagree that the cuts are "too mature" - at least not some of the stuff I was in. I couldn't swing a gun in some of the blocks and the growth was barely higher than my 5'6" head. Other blocks were more mature, but even in some of those blocks I moved birds (grouse or w'cock).

I didn't move a ton of birds in the 3-4 hours I hunted it but enough to keep me happy for that day (3 grouse, 4 woodcock for about a 2/hr flush rate).

It does get hunting pressure though, I can tell that. I hunted on a weekday and still saw several other guys.

No clue how the study turned out, can't help there.

PS - the ticks are terrible - picked at least 50 off my dog after the hunt
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,490 Posts
hooty,
Not much on the place myself, and have not seen the study that kept the place shut down for so many years.
There are lots better places to hunt in Potter/Tioga, will probably never hunt it again.
Knew the ticks would be bad, sprayed the dogs before we hunted, the place is definitely loaded with ticks.
Pine Creek/Dave
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
862 Posts
yes i did hunt it one time. The first year is was opened.
We flushed like 10 birds. We hunted it all day, Lot of ticks is right. its just not what i would call good Grouse Habitat to do a study on.

Andy, if i was a Rabbit hunter i would hunt it too. I think it looks like some great rabbit habitat.

Ok, I guess saying its a city was the wrong word to use.
I wouldnt be doing a grouse study in that area.

And if anyone is looking for the study Info. you can find it online.
This SGL 176 is 6,231 acres with home on all sides of it.
its really hard to manage it for grouse or even to do a grouse study. That's why the Game Comm opened it back up for Grouse hunting. It wasnt the right area.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
69 Posts
Hunted Rabbits on it yesterday before and during the snow storm. Saw 3 sets of grouse tracks and heard one flush. It is crazy thick in spots, I hunt with beagles and have no idea what great Grouse habitat is but it is definatley thick enough to hold a few rabbits which is good enough for me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,390 Posts
Shortly after I got my GSP, I took him there to put him on some birds (I can see the radio towers from my house, 1-2 miles away). All we saw were tons of ticks. Haven't been back since.

Hopefully, the controlled burns will help the tick situation. With permethrin available now, should probably try it again.

Seems like it should be ideal grouse habitat. And I think it does get a lot of pressure.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
869 Posts
That place is filled with tics! Went for a walk during the summer one year with friends had over 50 of them on just my jacket!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,980 Posts
pheasants said:
yes i did hunt it one time. The first year is was opened.
We flushed like 10 birds. We hunted it all day, Lot of ticks is right. its just not what i would call good Grouse Habitat to do a study on.

Andy, if i was a Rabbit hunter i would hunt it too. I think it looks like some great rabbit habitat.

Ok, I guess saying its a city was the wrong word to use.
I wouldnt be doing a grouse study in that area.

And if anyone is looking for the study Info. you can find it online.
This SGL 176 is 6,231 acres with home on all sides of it.
its really hard to manage it for grouse or even to do a grouse study. That's why the Game Comm opened it back up for Grouse hunting. It wasnt the right area.
I thought 176 was over 10,000 acres?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
862 Posts
I could be wrong, and i will check on it But i believe its 6,231 acres. That's what i did read. But agian i could be wrong. And the Grouse study that was done there is online.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,980 Posts
I also could be wrong. Just going off memory. I believe the grouse study did not encompass the entire game land. And I haven't been out there in a while but I thought the sign on scotia range road says 10,000+. either way its a big parcel.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,980 Posts
pheasants said:
SGL 176 currently contains 6,231 acres in Ferguson, Half Moon and Patton townships.

this is what i found online.
sounds good, Guess its been too long since ive been in there
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,667 Posts
bearhollow said:
Shortly after I got my GSP, I took him there to put him on some birds (I can see the radio towers from my house, 1-2 miles away). All we saw were tons of ticks. Haven't been back since.

Hopefully, the controlled burns will help the tick situation. With permethrin available now, should probably try it again.

Seems like it should be ideal grouse habitat. And I think it does get a lot of pressure.
everyday it sees multiple dogs but there still are birds. i went one time this year, 3 grouse and one doodle for about an hour and half. Hitting areas where other dogs just came out of
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
99 Posts
I grew up 5 minutes from Scotia and have hunted it since it was opened up. My parents still live there and I will be hunting it several days next week. There are definitely grouse in there. It's no Potter or Tioga, however if you know where to go there are definitely plenty of grouse. Just keep exploring as there's a lot of land in there and you just have to find out where to go as the land has a wide variation in forest maturity. As to rabbits, the place is just loaded with them...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,462 Posts
Ticks are worse there than anywhere I have ever hunted, I have seen dogs looking like they were literally sprinkled with black pepper there are so many. I am very limited with a mostly healed broken leg, I have hunted rabbits at Scotia a few times in the last month. I can not get in the brush and cannot get more than 2-300 yards from my truck(the beagles do all the work). I'll bet I have seen 10-15 grouse the dogs have bumped while running...I would love to see a "good" area for grouse...it gets very pressured and if you can't get off the trails/roads like me, you will constantly be interrupted by joggers, bikers and dog walkers.
 
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Top