The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm planning on scoping my old savage 42V,have to,the sights were removed and lost! thinking it should get a shotgun scope with the 20 guage. question , will a rifle scope hold up to slug shooting on occasion? hope to hunt with it next year

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
A good quality scope should have no problem. I had a Leupold 2.5x8 "rifle" scope on my 12 guage slug gun for years with no problems.

If you look at a Leupold "shotgun" scope compared to their "rifle" scopes the main difference in the parallax is set for 75 yds and they have a longer eye relief. Other than that they are built the same as far as I know. Remember there are alot of rifle calibers that recoil more that a shotgun slug.

Good luck, Tony

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
I suspect you meant the "24V".

But the choice of scope depends upon use. If you plan any wing shooting, try a 1 x red dot. It will work for the rifle out to 70 yards of so. You could also merely put the sight on, gunparts.com.

Any good quality rifle scope will work on a shotgun. The 1-4x Leupold is very good and the 1x gives it the bes field of view of most anything on the market.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts