The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a quality scope $1000 or less.Leuoplds what differs between a VX-2 and VX-3?I have an older 10 power don't even know the model.I looked at Nikons.Have a 3-9 on my 204.Problem is my eyes are getting older getting light on or from the target is getting worse.I would like to get 2 good scopes for my 2 main rifles.Hopefully under my price limit or one really good scope for just one.I'm talking about 200 plus yards.I'm good on deer with any scope under that.Just need one for varmints.Need opinions from a few guys or gals that have them.If you reply please state magnification of your scope.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
i'm no scope expert , but I stay at a holiday inn express recently.
i'm also in the process of upgrading most of my optics.

I wouldn't worry about magnification as much as I would objective diameter if light gathering is what your after.

with quality optic glass I can see well enough thru a 40mm objective .I recently upgraded my .22lr from an old inexpensive 3x9x25mm that no longer holds center to a Nikon 3x9x40mm rimfire scope.
they were both the same magnification however the increase in objective diameter feels like the sight picture and brightness more then doubled.

another thing to pay attention to is the eye relief and having some useable play in the distance.
I also found choosing a reticle more important then the magnification.
for my .22 I choose a BDC, for my deer gun I prefer a fine crosshair and honestly i'm not sure what I prefer on an AR yet

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Im a leupold guy myself have a couple and to me i think theyre the best. Have two redfields as well, and theyre great scopes for the money, just have to get the revolution, theyre on par with a vx 1 atleast and nipping at the heels of a vx2

·
Registered
5,636 Posts
If you like Leupold, stick with them.

And light gathering/transmission is not due to just the objective size. It is also dependent on coatings and glass used. And not on power of the zoom.

From Leupold, VX-1 to VX-2 to VX-3 is better coatings and/or glass to enhance the light gathering/transmission. I can't find the chart that showed % of transmission, but I am thinking it was 88% for a VX-1, 92% for a VX-2 and 94% for a VX-3. But don't quote me, just wanted to example them as better as you move up.

And for the price point you mention, I would assume you could get a pretty nice Leupold, new or used. Remember, even a used/2nd/3rd owner Leupold is guaranteed for life with their Gold Ring guarantee.

My favorite is the VX-R firedot, just because it has the added benefit of a red dot. Which helps my crappy eyes in the low light points of the day.

·
Registered
5,796 Posts
I picked up a Zeiss conquest few years ago and really impressed with it over my Leopold's. Mine is a 4.5x14,sent it back for a target turrent and they was good to work with. Its very clear and as good as anything gathering light. Zeiss finally realized some years ago to sell in US market they would have to drop there prices.

·
Registered
612 Posts
I love my VX3's. The diff between the vx2 and vx3 is the lens coatings, one piece tubes and better internals. I would Love to get my hands on a VX6. You can pick up a VX3 with a 50mm obj from ebay new for about $500-600, I just got my dad 1.
I did leave my comfort zone and bought a Swarovski Z3 for my 308 and I gotta say it is more crisp edge to edge than my VX3L, but I paid $1100.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Check out the Vortex Razor HD scopes. They range from $749.99 to $899.99. The Vortex Viper PST's are also very nice ranging from $479.99 to $949.99. Lifetime warranty that is transferable with no receipt required.

I was so impressed with quality, light gathering ability, features and performance I recently became a dealer. Research their reviews I think you will be surprised on what you get for the money.

Joe

·
Registered
340 Posts
Bushnell elite series, well kept secret! Try 50 mm lots of light ! My favorites are 4-16x50. Usually between $450 - $500

·
Registered
715 Posts
I too am a leupold guy, the VXIII is superior to the VXII as far as clarity. The 30mm tube will help with light gathering as much as anything. Depending on what magnification your looking for, the 4.5x14 with side focus (parallax) is really nice but the 8.5x25 is not incredible, if you're patient you can find a real nice used one for $700. The nightforce 8x32 is real nice e but to get one with side focus you'll need an NSX, the BR model has the same glass but the adjustable objective is difficult to use in hunting applications. You can find them used in the $800 range

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Like most here I've owned several of the major brands and like the zeiss conquest the best, the 3-9 x40 is good but better with the 44 or 50 with top magnification at 10 or 12. The trijicon accupoint 3-9 x40 is also a very clear scope as are the nikon monarchs. You could move up to a swarovski V3 as someone mentioned, very good, I like the 2 I have but still prefer the Zeiss. There are lots of good choices out there (too many choices is always a problem for me) you need to see what looks good to you.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Leupold, no question! Great product and great customer service. I posted several weeks ago about a 45+ year old VX-2 scope my father returned. They repaired it and shipped it back, no questions asked. Cost my father the cost of shipping and insurance.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Ill take my zeiss scopes over my burris and leupolds any day of the week.Not bashing them by any means,they are good quality scopes and leupolds customer service is outstanding.Unless your are going to make the leap and spend over your budget,for the truly upper echelon of scopes,I would choose zeiss all day long.

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
I'm 60 years old,and have a "few" guns I purchased over the years and Leupold was my optic I put on my guns! About 6 or 7 years ago my friend picked up a Zeiss and that was it for me,my last 3 rifles have Zeiss on top...

·
Registered
18,580 Posts
I have a leupold on just about every rifle I own. Can't go wrong with a VX-3. I Alain recently purchased a VX-R for my 22 Hornet.

·
Banned
5 Posts
Hey guys!

Great discussion going here and some solid advice!

I’ve set myself a budget of $300 for my first scope and am still not sure which one to get.

I’ve been reading some reviews on TangoTactics and am considering the Leupold 114933 VX-HOG Rifle Scope or theBushnell Banner Dusk & Dawn.

Does anyone here actually own either of these? What are your experiences?

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Check out the Vortex Razor HD scopes. They range from $749.99 to $899.99. The Vortex Viper PST's are also very nice ranging from $479.99 to $949.99. Lifetime warranty that is transferable with no receipt required.

I was so impressed with quality, light gathering ability, features and performance I recently became a dealer. Research their reviews I think you will be surprised on what you get for the money.

Joe

X 2 On the Vortex . I have 3 Leopolds . Vortex is excellent at half the price .

·
Banned
5 Posts
Im in a similar position to you and from my research $1000 is way more then enough for two scopes. My budget is around $400 and ive found the VX3i which seems like a great scope at amazon for under $340 http://amzn.to/2g9tQhI

You could even go crazy and get something awesome like a ATN X-Sight II for your budget which does everything including video, range finding and night vision and thats $699: http://amzn.to/2h5oeJX

Personally im looking at these two which are way cheaper and might also be of interest to you:

Nikon P-223
http://amzn.to/2h5mtw9

And

Bushnell & Banner Dusk & Dawn
http://amzn.to/2h1TcQ3

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
I love all my Leupolds I also have a couple Nikons and they're my second choice......I hear a lot of good things about Vortex but I've shot 2 on buddy's guns and I cant say I'm impressed at all......Just my opinion

1 - 19 of 19 Posts