The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking into getting a scope for my XL7C 25-06. I put a cheap $40 Tasco on it because it was there and I'm getting about 2 1/2" groups. I don't want a $300 scope. I have a $125 6-24x Tasco on my 220 swift and it is awsome, very clear and shoots dime size groups. I have a Bushnell on my 300 win mag and even though it shoots good groups, it is VERY unclear and you need both hands to change the power. I'm thinking about finding a used Bushnell Elite 3200. I'm seeing them on E-bay for the $150 range.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
STOP monkeying around..save the extra $100.00 and get yourself a Leupold 3x9..buy it one time and your set for life...clear, sharpe and rugged...settle this yourself..

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
nothing at all wrong with the elite 3200's. Good glass at a good price. The new Redfields are definitely worth a look as well as the Nikon Prostaffs. All three are in the $150-$200 range.

Definitely change scopes, if you're getting 2 1/2" groups to check and see if it's a scope problem, if not, try different ammo.

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
6-DASHER said:
STOP monkeying around..save the extra $100.00 and get yourself a Leupold 3x9..buy it one time and your set for life...clear, sharpe and rugged...settle this yourself..
I agree

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I know, I know. The thing is I've used several Leupolds and I'm just NOT that impressed for the price difference. I think an Elite is every bit as clear. I just wanted some other opinions from people that don't buy into the "you get what you pay for" theory.

There's two definitions of cheap.
one is cheap and the other is "less expensive".

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
I assure you devon..buy it once and that's the end of the story..and you will be impressed 5 years, 10 years, 20-30 and 40 from now...lifetime warrenty but doubt if you'll ever use it...believe me, you get what you pay for these days!!

·
Registered
4,541 Posts
I checked out the Redfields but got a Nikon for $10 less. Both were clear and sharp and have a lifetime warranty.

·
Registered
335 Posts
devonb said:
Looking into getting a scope for my XL7C 25-06. I put a cheap $40 Tasco on it because it was there and I'm getting about 2 1/2" groups. I don't want a $300 scope. I have a $125 6-24x Tasco on my 220 swift and it is awesome, very clear and shoots dime size groups. I have a Bushnell on my 300 win mag and even though it shoots good groups, it is VERY unclear and you need both hands to change the power. I'm thinking about finding a used Bushnell Elite 3200. I'm seeing them on E-bay for the $150 range.
If your Bushnell scope is blurry, you need to focus it.

There is a jam nut at the ocular lens, you loosen it and then turn the Ocular lens until it is clear. It takes some practice - because you need to take your eye away from the scope to turn the lens and then look through the lens to see if it is better. You can't just look through it and turn it or your eyes will adjust to the blurry sight picture and you will not be able to focus it properly.

Not all scopes are the same for all people because not everybody has 20/20 vision.

There is nothing wrong with a Bushnell Scope and the 3200 Elite is what is on my two best rifles.

Two of my other rifles has Redfield Widefield scopes.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah, I know how to adjust the scope and when it is sunny and 70 it is a pretty good scope but when it is foggy or the light is low or "misting" out the scope is very unclear. Like I said I can't complain about the accuracy for it is very good but it is a low quality scope. I'm not really worried too much about that one anyway, I need one for my 25-06.

·
Registered
26 Posts
http://www.muelleroptics.com/

sportsmans guide has em cheaper than the mueller site

i have the 3-10x44 sport dot on my marlin xl7 in 25.06... love it.. handloads, this scope, and setting the adjustment just right on that trigger helps me put one touchin the last nearly everytime

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
As said above buy it once. You do get what you pay for in almost anything. Leupold,Ziss, Trijicon can't go wrong. Bushnell's have come a long way since the days of adjustment and foggin. Almost all scopes are good today hardly any fog adjustment is something else. My scopes never move unless i do it. my Ziss has been on my Ruger some5 yrs. has never been touched since i put it on gun. Buy the scope you want and can afford let the higher price alone. Most guys here on HPA hunt in their home state and the three above are high priced to us. The Bushnell Elite's as they say Bullet Proof Warranty replace or repair no receipt required no time limit. Scopes have come along way now. They brought the bottom to near the top. Good luck in your choice...later

·
Registered
485 Posts
beginning of rant. i am a simple guy.. why is it a person with a higher end rifle, driving a higher end vehicle, going on a guided colorado elk hunt, bulks at spending 10 dollars on rings and is looking for an under 100 dollar scope??? whatever happened to spending as much as, or more on a scope than on the rifle?? believe that few things will ruin a hunt as completely as a scope failure. imagine a shot at a trophy, you mount the rifle and scope is fogged or crosshairs are angled. but boy did you get a deal on that scope at only 75 dollars. can this happen to any scope? YES! less likely on a premium scope? yes. spend as much as you can afford on the glass and mounts as it will pay off in the long term. end of rant. ps: the full replacement warranty sure helped in the field.

·
Registered
748 Posts
6-DASHER said:
Dasher is right on the money. Just do it right the first time and save yourself some money in the long run.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You don't "get what you pay for". In that case your saying a Swarovski is 10x clearer and more accurate than a Bushnell Elite? If I'm getting 1" groups at 100 yds with an Elite, I'm going to get .1" groups with a Swarovski? Like I said, I've used Leupold in the past and don't see the "double the price" difference in quality over some of the other "half priced" scopes like the bushnell elite or Nikon Prostaff. I'm not buying a leupold and paying for their advertising and endorsements.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
BTW Overthehill I bought a $380 XL7C, I drive a 99' ext cab silverado, and I've never been to Colorado hunting because I can't afford to take the time off, yet alone guided. I hunt Pa and want to put a good scope for a fair price on a good gun, that's it.

·
Registered
137 Posts
devonb said:
You don't "get what you pay for". In that case your saying a Swarovski is 10x clearer and more accurate than a Bushnell Elite? If I'm getting 1" groups at 100 yds with an Elite, I'm going to get .1" groups with a Swarovski? Like I said, I've used Leupold in the past and don't see the "double the price" difference in quality over some of the other "half priced" scopes like the bushnell elite or Nikon Prostaff. I'm not buying a leupold and paying for their advertising and endorsements.
Keep in mind a lot of scopes look comparible during daylight hours in the storeroom. Its the low light conditions where the differences become noticable.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts