The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a steal on a new Browning t-bolt .22 and I think I'd like to put a scope on it to plink with, or maybe let my daughter shoot a squirrel with. What are your rec's for a good scope for a .22 that isn't huge or overly heavy. I'm thinking 3-9X but I may have old fashioned ideas. Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
11,404 Posts
Try a Simmons "22 Mag". A decent 22 scope and available with an AO. They run between $50 and $60.

Check out Amazon or Optics Planet for the best prices. OP usually includes shipping.

·
Registered
14,314 Posts
Second on the Simmons 22 Mag....Natchez will probably have the best price though.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
i have a redfield 3x9 on mine and i love the ability to dial in the higher mag to hit small targets in tight places as you have with squirrels in the woods.

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
I put a Leu 3-9 compact on mine, it looks just right on the gun. But I did send it back ot Leu to have the parallax reset from 150 to 60. If it is a very accurate gun I would go with something with high power to stretch its effective hunting range. If you only intend to plink then a less expensive 4x will serve your purpose. Just my preference but I try to match the price of the scope to the gun, on average I'll pay 75-100% of the gun value on the scope.

·
Banned
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am thinking of one of the BSA sweet .22 series scopes. Any pros or cons on these?? They aren't expensive but the bullet drop compensators look cool?!?

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
I like bushnells 4x 22 scope. Especially with kids, too much magnification will greatly limit the field of view and it also magnifies the "jitters" holding of-hand.

But do get a 22 spec scope as the general rifle scopes have 100 or 150 yard focus, and a 15 yard squirrel will be very fuzzy.

·
Registered
14,314 Posts
Focus is adjustable and isn't the problem. Parallax is the problem. Most 22 or rimfire scopes are set at 50 yard parallax....shotguns usually 75 yards, rifle scopes at 100 yards.

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
that rear eyepiece doesn't adjust the focus, it is the parralax that what it is meant to adjust. I know people fool with it, but it isn't the optical focus.

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
The purpose of the rear eyepiece is to bring the crosshair into focus, not the object nor to adjust parallax. Since the crosshair is physically close to the eye the rear eyepiece is the equivalent of reading glasses to make the crosshair crisp. You'll find that with age as your comfortable reading distance increases you will also need to unscrew the eyepiece to keep the crosshair crisp.

"IF" the scope has an adjustable objective this is to bring the object into focus and also adjust parallax. Some scopes for ease of adjustment have it on the side near the erector adjusments. In Leupold terms it is referred to as "Adjustable Objective for Parallax Focusing" or "Side Focus Parallax Adjustment". I have both and both do in fact very noticably adjust the focus for the indicated yardage on the dial and at the same time adjust parallax.

·
Registered
14,314 Posts
Very precise explanation.

·
Registered
25,598 Posts
I prefer AO scopes on my 22s, especially if I'm going to shoot them on our club's indoor range. Have one Simmons 22 Mag, one BSA Sweet 22 and a few other AO scopes on my 22 rimfires.

They do what I want them to do, were fairly inexpensive and will last forever with some care, on a rimfire rifle.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I use a sightron s1 rimfire 3x-9x. It is a nice clear scope and handles the typical hunting situations well. The price is $130 range at midway. I really like it, I feel it is better than the .22 mag scopes, but they are half the price and not bad for the money (I have one on my .22 mag lakefield and the sightron is on a cz 452).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts