The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for a cheap variable power scope for my Contender in 7x30 Waters. Any good cheap ones out there? Currently have a 2x Leupold and I don't like the limited field of view or the magnification.

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
I have 5 Bushnell scopes on handguns, all are 2-6x including one on my 14” T/C Contender in 7-30 Waters. I wouldn’t consider them cheap, either. Cheap would be a Walmart brand scope.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
I never had any luck with inexpensive Bushnells, even less with Simmons, but before I was able to afford the higher end scopes my choice was Tasco. Good scope for the money, but don't expect the lower end scopes to hold up too long, unless it's on something low recoil.

·
Premium Member
23,860 Posts
The Bushnell Trophy line are fairly inexpensive & a step up from their Banners. For a few bucks more I'd go with an Elite 3200.

·
Registered
3,284 Posts
... have a 2x Leupold and I don't like the limited field of view or the magnification.
Anything higher than 2x will limit your field of view even more, 4x will give half the FOV as 2x. Red dot/reflex sights are 1x and give very good FOV and the advantage of not needing your eye perfectly in the same spot for accurate shooting. I don't like anything higher than 2x on a handgun.

Reactions: Dogface

·
Registered
10,672 Posts
If your not satisfied with a 2X Leupold I doubt you will find much out there that will have a wider field of view. This is especially true when you include "cheap" and "variable power" in your description.

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
I have had a Simmons Whitetail Classic 1.5-5x20 about 9" long on my TC .223 since mid 70's has never failed me.

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
My 7-30 Waters with a Bushnell Trophy 2-6x. I've had one on my Ruger Super Redhawk .44 Magnum for over 25 years.

The gun will shot under 1" groups at 100 yards all day....if I do my job!

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I put a Simmons ProHunter 2-6X handgun on my S&W 44 mag about 15 years ago. It's been a fine scope and has taken a pounding over the years. They don't make it any longer.....dunno what they replaced it with. Cost was like $125 new. Couldn't beat it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts