The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to put a new scope on my grandpap's old slug gun. I'm partial to Leupold on my rifles but does anyone have a recommendation?

Thanks!

·
Registered
430 Posts
You said you are partial to Leupold Scopes. Why not try a Leupold 2x7x33. Shotgun specific scope not required and a 2x7 is the perfect magnification for a slug gun.

·
Super Moderator
12,660 Posts
I have a Leupold 1X4 on my 12 ga. Browning A Bolt and have taken several deer with it. I got it in 1996 when they first came out; however, with the more accurate slug ammo today I would opt for a 2X7 Leupold.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
A Slug gun Short range proposition anyway, why not go with one of the latest reflex sights with a 2 mil/moa dot? I ran one before and they work great and don't add any weight to what is already a heavy gun to begin with.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have a 2-7X33 Leupold shotgun scope that I bought several years ago, and I love it. I been trying to find a second one for a couple of years now, but they don't make them anymore. They only make the VX Freedom 3-9x40 muzzleloader/shotgun scope now. I've settled for a Bushnell Trophy 1.75-4x33 with the Circle-X reticle. The glass isn't as good, but it does the job.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
My dad has a Nikon on his slug gun. Vortex seems to be a popular as of lately among hunters since they have a full lifetime warranty.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I ran a 4x Leupold compact on an 870 for years. Bud bought that gun off me, still uses it.

Played w some variables.

I shoot both eyes open and can pop a mover close in timber w a 4x

But am getting older and would prefer a lower mag for that.
A 1-4x would be my pick.

If you screw up......worst case its still a 4x. Doable. A 1 or 1.5x makes movers close way easy.

Big game scopes work fine on shotguns. Parallax shouldnt be an issue. I find the reg duplex heavy enough, not a fan of heavy duplex.

Gave up slug gunning, use a 35 rem 760 now. It wears a 4x Leupold.compact.

Prices have gone silly on old clean gloss Leupolds. Aint payin auction site prices.

Did score my 4x compact mint from such a place, for 175 shipped. But they had it listed as a handgun scope and nobody bid on it

·
Registered
176 Posts
I have a Leupold vx1 matte, click adjust 2-7x mint. Its on the cabinet waiting on a Ruger #1A.

Had it on a .35 rem TC Contender carbine for 2 seasons. Shot 2 deer in thick stuff. 50 and 75 yards. Scope never over 3x

·
Registered
3,734 Posts
I am partial to Nikon and Leupold for guns that I own. They can be a little pricey but I love the quality.
+1 on the Nikon... I have one on my Mossberg 500 12 gauge. It's durable, reliable and very clear. I don't think they're all that pricey. (The scope is better than the gun. lol.)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts