The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Pentax Gameseeker 4-12x40 scope mounted on a Savage Axis .308. I've had this rifle for a year and I've shot it plenty.
On Sunday I was at the range shooting in very cold conditions. I had the magnification up to 12x so that I could see my hits at 100 yards. After about 10 shots (taking a couple breaks in between to let the barrel cool and help my friend) I noticed that when looking through the scope, the target seemed foggy. This problem got progressively worse until I had to stop shooting after about 5 more shots because it was just too foggy. I thought that the scope was getting fogged up somehow. Unfortunately, the fogginess has not gotten better since then. On low magnification (4-8 power) the picture is not foggy-- only on high magnification (8-12 power).

Also- and this just seems crazy to me- now (it was not like this on Sunday) the reticle is off its axis. Where it should be a vertical line and a horizontal line, now both of them are diagonals.

Any idea what the problem might be? Any suggested remedies? I may have to go out and get myself a decent scope.

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
Diagnosis = she gave up the ghost !
No offense, its a very low quality optic. They work until they break, and they are not worth fixing.
Avariable has a series of internal lenses that must work together. Your lenses from a certain power up are broke or out of allignment. Sounds like your reticle snapped as well. Most likely due to contraction in the extreme cold temps. If you take it off and shake it, you will probably hear some unpleasant klinking around in there.
Time for a new scope. In their defense, alot of inexpensive optics never fail, just the luck of the draw. If you buy one with a warranty, you never have to worry again.

·
Super Moderator
12,829 Posts
Like Joe said, it sounds like she's done...could call the manufacturer and see what they say...but I personally wouldn't pay to have it fixed....I would put the money toward a new scope...

I learned my lesson with cheap scopes...I have 1 left...it is on my 22...if/when it fails me, I won't miss out on anything important like a big ole buck or bear...

I had one that when you changed the magnification the cross hairs moved...wherever they wanted! On paper it was fine because I kept it cranked up...in the woods I moved it around...worst season of my life..and I was 14! Wounded 2 doe and missed another...all super easy shots..25-30yds broadside..I was sick...dad blamed me but tried not to show it...I blamed me and was upset over it though I knew it wasn't me...dad was building a slug gun...the scope on my rifle was a shotgun scope...I took it off and gave it to him..said I didn't need it anymore I was done hunting...he took it to get bore sighted...they found the problem...saved my grass cutting money and bought me a Leopold various x ii 3-9x40...next season I piled em up...killed a doe and my first buck opening morning!

Worst feeling ever...

Yes more expensive scopes can fail too...but they are made much better...and if they do break they get sent in and typically fixed free...

I can pull my rifles out year after year and never have to adjust them or anything...

I can add some elevation to a long off groundhog..make the shot and return my elevation to its zero and know it is back where I belong..

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
I also have the same Pentax Scope. When cold out it is almost impossible to turn the Power Ring. The cost of and scarcity of Ammo these Days, it would be a wise move to buy the best scope you can squeeze out of your budget. Line it in and it should stay lined in.....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts