The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have never been a fan of the Red Dots. I always looked at is one more thing to worry about, as in a battery powered item on my hunting equipment. I see a lot of them on the crossbow packages and was wondering what those who have them think of them versus conventional scopes. I am going to get a crossbow and not sure which would be best. Any advice?

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
I have one on a Ruger 10/22 and i'll tell you this..it's EASILY the fastest "scope" i've EVER put on a rifle. battery life is great and with the battery on, all I do is point and click. I posted a 100 yard target not long ago...lemme go dig it up and show you what a 5MOA dot at 100 yards firing off hand with a semi auto looks like...

·
Registered
3,364 Posts

6 shots, fired in two 3 round bursts (as quick as I could re-acquire the target and squeeze the round off)

at 100 yards, the 5MOA dot nearly covers this target completely, and I would not hesitate to use one on a crossbow out to 40 yards or so

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
One nice thing about red dots, both eyes open (as long as there is no magnification).

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
I have used a red dot for years, but changing soon. The only bad thing that I can say about them is they stink at gathering light during dawn/dusk times. I am not trying to shoot after hours, but there have been times that it was legal shooting hours, and looking through the scope it was black except for a red dot. The tubes on the dot scopes are not long enough to gather light, which is why I am switching.

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
With my eyesight, the dots on the three dot scopes tend to merge together, one solid vertical red or green line for me.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Better off with a scope on your crossbow. I've hunted with a crossbow since 1992 and have used both options and the scope is the best of the two. Red dots are best left for use on your shotgun for turkeys.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Scopes are good all day! red dots are only good mornings and evenings.... but with using scopes.....you need scope covers most of the time!!!! if you go the red dot route.....bring extra batteries!!!! i wish they made fiber optic open sights because they would be the best overall.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Got a Lumizone Scope on my crossbow and like it alot. Had an Aimpoint red dot on my 870 Express Mag and hated it. Not sure if it was the dot or the 2 power lack of magnification. Either way I got rid of it and went to a Nikon 3-7 and couldn't be happier.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts