The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Considering putting a red dot scope on my soon to be 7 year old's 20 gauge shotgun to use for turkeys. I noticed the receiver on his Rem. 1187 youth model does not have holes to mount a scope base. I'm assuming the only way to get a scope on there is to have it drilled and tapped by a gunsmith but thought I'd ask on here first in case there is something I'm missing.

Thanks,
Scott

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Next question: Any recommendations for the scope? He does well shooting my Marlin .22 with a straight 4X scope on it. I've heard good things about red dot scopes on shotguns. Is there a brand that someone has good luck with or are they all pretty comparable? I see there are some for $26 up to hundreds of dollars.

Thanks,
Scott

·
Registered
376 Posts
be cautious with b square mount I just took one off of my 11-87, it would not stay snug. but it was a 3.5" 12 gauge so hopefully you do not have the same problem with a lower recoiling 20.

·
Registered
3,747 Posts
I have a B square on my 11-87 and its been there for at least 4 years. I love it and dont know why I hunted turkeys without it! I have a Simmons red dot on there that I got for about 40 bucks.

·
Registered
18,420 Posts
I have an Aimpoint 9000sc red dot on my Mossberg 835. It can withstand the heaviest recoil, waterproof and has 50,000 hours battery life. It was very pricey however. I use it for turkey and hunting predators at night.
I'd have your receiver drilled and tapped. I've heard the B-Square mounts on some individuals shotguns have come loose, they can mar the finish on receivers and moisture gets trapped under them which promotes rusting.

·
Registered
104 Posts
The trouble with drilling and tapping an 1187/1100 is that the steel on the front part of the reciever is too thin to really hold 6-48 screws.
What I do is drill and tap into the barrel tang for the 2 front screws, with the barrel in place of course.
The downside is that you can't easily remove the barrel, the upside is that the screws will hold and the barrel is now "pinned".
The base most used is the #62 Weaver.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts