The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just watched a few videos on youtube about how to properly mount a scope. I have a feeling the gun store that I got my gun from didnt go through all the trouble they do in the videos to mount my scope since one side of the scope has a gap between where the mounts touch and the other side is touching. Just wondering if anyone actually goes through all the trouble with the levels and torque wrenches on there scope. Its a brand new Tikka 7mm08 stainless with a nikon 5 scope and would like it set up perfect so I dont have to worry about it again and them not spacing the gap on each side I will always notice from here until forever now so Im probably gonna have to fix it.

·
Registered
5,790 Posts
I do, plus I lap them. Optics is very important and most people don't know how. If you ever go on a custom gunsmiths website and look at what they charge to mount a scope the right way you can understand. On flip side most people would not pay for this service.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Yep, I lap the rings and use a torque wrench on the mounting screws along with squaring things up with a level.
If you want to get the most out of your rifle it's something you want to do. Now if your long shots will be 75yds......then not so much.

·
Super Moderator
7,820 Posts
A great way to do this is a FAT Wrench from Wheeler (doesn't have the bits for those stock Tikka rings, though...I mounted two scopes on Tikka's, and those rings drive me batty) and a Segway Scope reticle leveler. Those two tools take a huge chunk of frustration out of mounting scopes.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks.... will be looking into getting the tools or finding someone to mount it properly...would rather it just be done right the first time and be done with it

1 - 5 of 5 Posts