The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a Remington 700 in .300 Win Mag and I'm looking for some advice on glass. It'll be used for hunting and some moderate range shooting....out to about 600 yards. So far I'm leaning towards a Vortex Viper or Nikon. Any other suggestions?

Magnification: I'm leaning towards 6 x 20. I have 5 x 15 Bushnell 3200 on a Rem 700 in .308 and I'm very satisfied with it. But I may want more top end magnification. Not so much for hunting, but for the target shooting. I guess I'm looking for some balance.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Vortex from what I am hearing is a very nice scope. Currently have a Viper PST 6-24x50 on order.

That being said I have been running the Nikon Buckmasters 6-18x40 on two of my rigs and have been very happy with repeatablilty even on a 300 RUM.

Both are fine choices.

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
I've been reading some great reviews on the Vortex scopes. I would like to give one a try. You probably won't need the 20X magnification unless you are going to be hunting groundhogs. For deer sized game, you could use a 4.5-14 and have enough magnification.

·
Registered
5,831 Posts
I have a 4-16x44 AO Burris Signature on my .300 Wby.....it has the ballistic plex reticle, and it is accurate out to 600 yards away........I shot a group at 600 yards using the plex it was about 6" low......

·
Registered
715 Posts
Leupold 6x18, pro-affordable, decent glass, con-Adjustable objective which isn't quick for hunting. Leupold 6x20, Pro-better glass, more magnification and side focus which is much faster for hunting. Leupold 8.5x24, my favorite unless your spending big bucks, great glass, side focus, more magnification, target knobs, con-getting a little pricey, lowest power of 8.5 is a little much for hunting deer when there is a close shot.

If you’re leaning to do more target shooting than hunting you’ll be happy with the 8.5x24. If you’re planning on do a lot of target shooting and just a little hunting go a little more and buy a Nightforce 12x42. You can find a used BR model for around $1200 or less if your patient.

·
Registered
5,555 Posts
There are so many options available to you for this particular optic you are seeking. I have a lot of options for you if you are interested in discussing it. One thing that I noticed is that you have the Elite 3200, which is one of my favorite scopes of all time, and you are happy with it minus the magnification levels. I currently have some left-over Elite 4200's, one step up from the 3200's, 6-24x40, for less than $400. I also have some of the new model Elites in the 4-16, 6-24, and even the 8-32 power scopes as well listed on the website. Some of the other options available to you include, as stated above, the Leupold VX-II 6-18x40mm scopes, as well as the higher end VX-3 scopes. Finally I also have the Nikon Buckmaster's in both 4.5-14 and the 6-18 power as well. I haven't gotten all of the Nikon optics listed on the website yet, but I still have them.

I personally don't have the Vortex scopes and I have heard mixed reviews on them. I haven't worked with one myself so I have no opinion on them. If you end up going that route please give us a review of your experience with it.

Ultimately you have to think of your rifle as a chain, and you are only as strong as your weakest link. Don't let your optic be the weakest link in your chain. Do some research and make an informed decision. If you want we can discuss a little more in-depth about the construction and quality of the scopes you are looking at. Please feel free to contact me by phone or by email. Both are listed on my website. Good luck with your decision and at the very least let us know what you decided on.

Respectfully,

Mac

·
Banned
13,401 Posts
Until today I would have said Leupold. But I just got done talking to my taxidermist who told me that during Hurricane Lee he had his gun collection underwater in his basement for two days. He was in Montana at the time. Anyway he said he had 17 Leupolds, one Swarovski, and one Tasco. He said all 17 Leupolds had taken water on internally and had to be shipped back to the factory to be resealed. Most of these were VX-III's. The Tasco and the Swarovski were fine which is more than can be said for his guns but his Weatherby's came through it pretty well.

·
Registered
974 Posts
All 17? Come on now that sounds like a pretty good story if you ask me. Atleast Leopold will stand by there scopes and repair them for him. Tasco nevermind! Swarovski awsome scope there and yes the vortex is a fine scope also.

·
Banned
13,401 Posts
bearslayer said:
All 17? Come on now that sounds like a pretty good story if you ask me. Atleast Leopold will stand by there scopes and repair them for him. Tasco nevermind! Swarovski awsome scope there and yes the vortex is a fine scope also.
I couldn't argue with the man. He's always treated me fairly and honestly. I've no reason to doubt him. Plus as upset as he got talking about it, there had to be something wrong with those 17 Leupolds.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
Yo Moose dose smell like fish??? Also it is funny how guys will put a 200.dollar scope along with a 1500.00 scope and compare them. Seems the scope a guy has is always the best one. It's always better then the one you have no matter the brand. Me I like a few brands each in their own price range. If I could get the better of them it would be a NightForce.....later

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
*Moose said:
bearslayer said:
I couldn't argue with the man. He's always treated me fairly and honestly. I've no reason to doubt him. Plus as upset as he got talking about it, there had to be something wrong with those 17 Leupolds.
My $80 Tasco World Class is the best scope I have owned, including Leupolds and Redfields.

·
Administrator
39,028 Posts
Stetam said:
*Moose said:
bearslayer said:
My $80 Tasco World Class is the best scope I have owned, including Leupolds and Redfields.
The ones i still have all still work well!

Mike, that story about the leupolds is hard to believe!

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
I would do that for you. I know most of us think Leupold is the best... They IMO are a very good scope and a great company. They have seemed to lately come up with to many different groups. Don't know what's goin on tryin to compete with lower grade and price I guess. The Swarovski,Zeiss, Trijicon, are to name a few that are just alittle out of reach for us all. Who here on HPA will buy a Savage rifle and triple the price of gun for a scope??? I have a couple scopes that were bargain's for what I was gettin. 4200 Bushnell, Burris, to name a few. A Burris Black Diamond is priced along with Leupolds. I'ed buy any Burris Mod. before a Nikon. I've got a USA Weaver on my handgun that is great. All in all it's real hard to beat a Leupold and theirfull lifetime guarantee. $200.00 for a VXIII me and you would buy all we could get our hands on and live happley ever after.....later

·
Registered
5,555 Posts
b&ghuntre said:
All in all it's real hard to beat a Leupold and theirfull lifetime guarantee. $200.00 for a VXIII me and you would buy all we could get our hands on and live happley ever after.....later
There would probably be a ton of VX-3's sold if you could get them at $200. I would be right there with you buying them too. Leupold makes a great product and they have great service to back it up.

·
Registered
555 Posts
I would much rather a $400 scope on a $200 rifle than a $100 scope on a $500 rifle. When it comes down to it, it is much more important to be able to see what your shooting at and to be able to have faith in the integrity of your sighting system than it is to have a sub MOA rifle.

To the OP, I'm not sure what your budget is, but that is a big factor when looking into high magnification scopes. You'll often be better off spending your money on glass quality rather than magnification.

I like the 3200's, but you might be surprised at the difference better glass makes, even at slightly lower magnification.

I've heard good things about the Viper, but have never looked through one.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
There was a study released about HDTV's. They found that people believed the picture on a standard definition TV was better when they were led to believe they were watching HD. The study proved that if we were told it was a clearer picture then we would believe it was.

I suspect the same for scopes as well. We are told that a $1500 dollar scope is 3 times better than a $500 dollar scope so our mind tells us it is. Don't get me wrong, there are differences in build quality and light transmission. But... it's a diminishing return. Quality is not proportionate to price.

·
Registered
389 Posts
300 mag...........My choice is the Leupold VX-III 2.5-8x. Great scope. More than enough magnification for big game. even at long range. And it does not add unneeded weight to your rifle that high powered large scopes do.

I have shot ground hogs out to 600+ yards with a fixed 12x..........and they are much smaller than deer or elk.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts