The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
12,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Starting to plan on putting together a dedicated turkey gun for next year and I want to equip it with a scope. I do not like red dots and don't want a holographic sight. Any suggestions on a decent scope?

·
Registered
804 Posts
I have had the same Bushnell Trophy on four different turkey guns and l can say for a $100 scope it's hard to beat...just my two cents

·
Registered
12,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Open sights works great..
Yes they do. I am getting older and my eyesight isn't as good as it once was. Hard to see everything in focus in order to get a fine bead.

·
Registered
12,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Kicking this back up to the top to see if anyone has any other suggestions. Got a good feeling that Santa may bring me the gun for Christmas. Don't think that he is bringing a scope though. LOL.

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
Kicking this back up to the top to see if anyone has any other suggestions. Got a good feeling that Santa may bring me the gun for Christmas. Don't think that he is bringing a scope though. LOL.
I have a Swift 1.5x4.5 Scope with Circle plus reticle.
I bought it a dozen years ago for about $150 and the local gun shop said that it had a lifetime no questions asked warranty.
I mounted it on a Rem Sp10 that I used to develop 2.5oz Hevi Shot handloads and to turkey hunt with.
It stayed on that gun and took an absolute pounding and never so much as missed a beat. I decided to trade the SP10 for 2 rifles so that scope went on an 870 20ga and has been nothing except flawless.

I see that they are about $300 retail price but can be had for less.

I also have a Nikon Turkey Pro that was in an 870 Supermag.
I bought the scope used and it was out of whack then. I sent it back to Nikon and it was on that Supermag for many years and now resides on a .410. Not a problem since it was refurbished.

Reactions: cspot

·
Super Moderator
12,888 Posts
From 1996 through about 2009 I hunted Spring gobbler with a 1X4 Leupold scope mounted on my browning 12 ga. A5 and took several gobblers in several states. It performed without flaw.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Simmons Pro Diamond cant be beat. Have this on my Winnie 1300 for many yrs and has not failed me yet. :turkey_track:
I have to agree, the Simmons Pro Diamond in 1x5 to 5 variable is a good turkey scope for the money 80 to 110 dollars, I have 3 of them, one on my Mossberg 500 20ga and on both of my 835`s, once you get the Turkeys head inside the Diamond, it is over for that bird. With the scope mounted on the breach, I just switch to my slug barrel for 2B Deer and I`m ready to go.Check them out online At my age as well they have made it much easier and the added factor is with a scope you can get a better look at how long his beard is, especially when there are more than one Gobbler approaching. The last 12 Gobblers have fallen to this scope. Good Luck with what ever scope you decide on.....

·
Super Moderator
12,888 Posts
One battery last me for several spring seasons. I also carry an extra in my Turkey cleaning kit with my license, but never have had to change one during a hunt. I don't believe in 10 years of Spring turkey I am used more that 2 batteries....

·
Registered
4,147 Posts
'I just never cared for them. Also you are dependent on a battery.

Scopes are fine. I hunted with a Simmons diamond scope for years without any trouble.
However, for turkey hunting a holographic red dot is so much better. I like the low profile sights like a Burris FF. Target acquisition just comes so automatic and easy that I can't think of anything better.

My battery story:
I killed two birds by mid May one year. Cleaned the gun and put it in the safe until the following season. When I got it out 11 months later, I realized I left the light on, draining the battery for nearly a year of constant "on".

Guess what? I could still see the red dot, about 15% brightness, but still very much usable. That gave me total confidence that the battery will never fail me during the season.

Also, if the dot wasn't turned on for some reason, just get a good cheek weld, center the target in the glass and let it rip. I've practiced this and have full confidence in it at turkey hunting ranges with a shotshell.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
I never cared for those battery operated red dots either, they are like looking through a magnifying glass with a little dot in the middle, You might as well just install some fiber optic sights on the barrel. A variable 1x5 to 5 scope gives me a much better look at his beard as he is approaching from a farther distance, and if there is more than one bird I can pick out the longer beard which I have done on more than one occasion. ...

Reactions: cspot

·
Registered
20,883 Posts
Years ago I bought a NWTF win model 1300 with no rib and fixed sights.It was a great gun but unfortunately,I ran out of adjust on the rear sight and it shot high.Since the winchesters are drilled and tapped for a scope,I put a decent red dot on it.I hated having that thing on it so I sold the gun.I have a Franchi affinity 20ga that's now the only shotgun I own.I bought a spare 24" barrel for it and put a trulock choke in it and a set of truglo gobble dot open sights.My eyes have really gone down hill over the past few years but it's fine.

·
Registered
12,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Years ago I bought a NWTF win model 1300 with no rib and fixed sights.It was a great gun but unfortunately,I ran out of adjust on the rear sight and it shot high.Since the winchesters are drilled and tapped for a scope,I put a decent red dot on it.I hated having that thing on it so I sold the gun.I have a Franchi affinity 20ga that's now the only shotgun I own.I bought a spare 24" barrel for it and put a trulock choke in it and a set of truglo gobble dot open sights.My eyes have really gone down hill over the past few years but it's fine.
I can tell a big difference with open sights the last couple of years. Just hard for me to get a fine bead on something with a shotgun.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts