The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have decided to rescope my 300Wby with a 4x12. I have a Leupold Vari-XIII on it now. I decided to put that on my 280 since I use that gun a lot more these days. I have mostly all Leupolds and a few Bushnells on my guns. I have never had a Nikon and have heard a lot of good about them and was impressed with the pro staff clarity. (I forgot to mention I am trying to keep this in the $250.00 and less category). I kind of like the BDC reticle on it and the eye relief also, but don't like the fact it's made in China . I looked at the Redfields and like their clarity and the fact they are produced in the Leupold facility, but am not a fan of their BDC type of reticle. I find it confusing that you would have to hold on the top of the circle as opposed the cross hairs for a 200yd or less shot which most of here in Pa. have been. The last candidate is the Bushnell 3200 which is on sale for $219.00 (usually $319.00) at cabelas and has the rainguard and the AO instead of the BDC style reticle which I am used to from my Leupold. The eye relief is not as good as the other two that I mentioned which is the only potential drawback that I see. I now this is a long question, but I want the best bang for the buck, especially if I find myself out west or up north taking a long shot on a caribou or elk which is what I would most likely take with me. Your feedback is appreciated.

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Dont rule out a Burris Fullfield II.......

You can get a 4.5-14x42 with the ballistic plex for around 300 dollars

As far as I am concerned Burris's clarity is better than probably 95% of scopes out there, and they have great customer service.......

All of my scopes are Burris with the exception of a couple Leupolds.......Their ballisitc plex is much less distracting than most of the other ones that I have seen also...

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
check out natchez shooting sports for the bushnell elites. they are having a serious sale.

·
Registered
968 Posts
the elite series of bushnell are great scopes 4 the money I have 6 of them. I also have a nikon monarch on my 300 ultra mag a great scope.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Here's another vote for the Burris Fullfield II in 4.5-14x42 with the ballistic plex.

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
I also can tell you that I have only ever owned one Bushnell Elite(got it on a used gun) and I absolutely hated it............It was clear in the center, but the edges were cloudy....it was bad in low light......I only had it for about 3 months before I sold it.....

Oh and my buddy had an Elite 4200 on a 7mm Mag, and the crosshair more or less went away........Bushnell said it was from the recoil, and they did stand behind it....

·
Registered
4,541 Posts
I put a Nikon on an 06 last year, like it so far and it went thru this deer season with the rain/snow/cold without a hitch. I also have a Leupold VX III on my .300 which I love. Just got an Elite 3200 and have not mounted it yet, looks very clear.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
nikon pro staff are great scopes for the money. i have 2 and im very happy with them. very clear and great in low light. mine are 3x9x40s and i dont have the bdc.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
If you have the time and can save up some more money then it may be worth getting a better scope. Especially with a high recoil cartridge. I'd hate to cut corners on the glass only to have it haunt me when I were on a caribou or elk hunt.

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
I have mostly Leupold and Bushnels.

I love the Elite line of Bushnell. these are the formerly Baush and Lomb line of scopes. I have a 4200 which has been on Two Safaris and 4 trips to the artic circle. Great scope and good rugged mechanicals.

I've got 2 3200s and they are on 338 and 416, no problems at all.

I like my Nikon camera, but a few years ago got a Nikon scope that was really bad on shot and the lens inside started to raattle and looking thru it was like looking thru a dirty old glass Ckoe battle. gun shop replucantly took it back after lots of heat. Only thing I can say is at least the Nikon quality control testing was not very good to ship this scope half way aroound the world with out an testing.

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
The only flaw I have ever found with the Nikon is aiming into direct sunlight. The reticle will fade from black to a faint shadow. A Leupold will not do that. For a Pa deer hunt the Nikon is all the scope you need, and you don't even really need that. I tested this myself, and I own at least a dozen and a half Leupolds without going to count.

·
Registered
264 Posts
If you are a Rifleman & I believe you are, you must educate your self on the Mil-Dot System especially if you plan on doing any precision shooting. I have Nikon Buckmaster that I believe is the best("Blue Collar")scope. A shooter can easily pay more money than he needs for a scope that is above his needs. (New) shooters may/will poo-poo the Mil-Dot having little experience however there is no reason that any other Hunting/Varmint System can be any better.

·
Registered
10,285 Posts
Dont rule out new Redfields ... Owned by Leopold

they have 2 4X12X40 scopes, one is $209 the other is $219

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I appreciate all your feedback on the subject. I went over to a buddies house today to look at a couple of his Nikon's that he has. He like me, has mostly Leupold's and a few Bushnell's and a few Simmons and most recently 2 Nikon Pro Staffs. I wanted to look at them again especially the one with the BDC. I was really impressed. My 300WBY has been seeing less and less time afield due to the type of hunting which is mostly vertical and mobile. I find myself grabbing my model 7 topped with a leupold compact scope or my 700 BDL which has a VXII 3x9 and will soon be wearing the VXII 3.5x10. I can carry those guns all day long. Plus the price of 300WBY ammo is outrageous these days. I just decided to go with the Nikon Pro staff. The lack of eye relief on the Bushnell Elite 3200 ruled that out and the BDC system on the Redfield was what pushed me more so in Nikons direction. The way it's set up, the top of the circle on the cross hair would be your 0 to 200 yards and 100yd increments after that that. It could be somewhat confusing at that critical moment. The way I see it with the no fault lifetime warranty I will exchange it for a better scope with Nikon or my local gun shop, like I did many years ago when my old 300 win mag ate 3 Bushnell trophy scopes in a year's time. If things don't work out I will definitely let you all know that the juice isn't worth the squeeze.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts