The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is a better value for my money - I am having a hard time trying to decide what scope to put on a, new to me, used Winchester 69A .22LR bolt action with the grooved receiver.

The scope types I am looking at are fixed power 4x's or maybe some type of low (1-4x20 or 1.75-x5x20)variable.

So looking at the available choices - I am trying to decide on the best deal and value, my choices are the following...

Nikon Prostaff 4x32 (new) - I can get for about $80
Leupold M8 fixed 4X (used) - probably $150ish
Burris 1.75-5x20 (new) - around $200
Leupold 1-4x20 (new VX-I or used VX-II) - around $200
Leupold 2-7x32 (VX-I or rifleman) - $150-$200

I always typically buy Leupolds, but in the last year bought both a Nikon rangefinder and a pair of Monarch 10x42 binocs and have been please with both - so I am considering my first Nikon rifle scope. The scope will reside mostly on this .22 but could be pressed into service as a back-up to a centerfire brush rifle in the future.

Thanks and let's hear it...

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
I have heard good things on both Leupold and Nikon. I was all set in buying another leupold and I may still. Then yesterday, I was on ebay and ended up picking up the monarch gold for $380. I couldn;t pass it up. That being said, I have both brands and are pleased with both.

·
Registered
5,643 Posts
can't beat the Leupolds. I've recently been buying a few Bushnell Elites, but the Leupy's are top notch, and will hold their value in the future.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Andy - What are you using the .22 for? If you are hunting squirrels or target shooting at anything under 150 yds., be sure to select a scope with an Adjustable Objective. That is large ring at front of scope to eliminate parallax. This is very important on a .22. Scopes with no adjustment are usually set at 150 yds. Otherwise, you might have trouble hittin 'em. Nikon or Leupold are both good.

·
Banned
24,445 Posts
Have a M8 4X. Not the brightest nor sharpest specially considering price.. Weaver makes some nice stuff for 22's. Top shelf Jap glass at a decent price.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts