The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

Schuylkill river

2K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  soup1279 
#1 ·
Anyone ever fish the Reading or outlying area for smallmouth. Have been working in the area occasionlly and was wondering if its worth giving a try.

#4 ·
I fished it near Oaks, Limerick and between Hamburg and Port Clinton. Overall I'd say its a good fishery. Water levels can be a problem.

BTW the area near Port Clinton is my favorite and the water is clean. A PFBC biologist was testing the water while I was fishing a few years ago. He was very happy because he found black fly larva. He said the larva can only live in very clean water.

#5 ·
I've fished the stretches between Limerick & Norristown, it gets fished pretty hard, but there are still quite a few smallmouth in the river. Not as many as there were 10-15 years ago, the general consensus is that the flatheads are killing a lot of them off. An old buddy of mine floats a kayak down the river and fishes for them, I'm not that hardcore.

#6 ·
Thanks for the info guys, always heard it wasn't bad. I usually fish the delaware or Susky but me and a guy I work with have been thinking about hitting it one day after we are done work and were just curious what to expect. Definitely beats sitting in traffic for a few hours.

#7 ·
I've fished it a number of times with good results. As others have said, it gets hit hard. If you have a boat that doesn't have a jet motor you have to worry about the jet skis and the other recreational guys. You can do really well wading on the shallower stretches that hardly see anyone.

Night fishing for cats is pretty big down towards black rock area. We do pretty well down there.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.