The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello fellas,

I'd like to hunt the Schuykill river, but I'm having trouble finding answers on how to do so. If I get my license will the study guide explain what I need to do so? Will a 12 foot Jon boat get the job done? How big of a motor would you need? How do you get back to the truck? Is the current so low that you can go upstream? Can you just row it? What stops people from shooting geese in way down in Philly?

Stupid questions I'm sure, but I'm not trying to get killed, so I want to educate myself. I'm more asking how I go about doing that.

Thanks,

Andrew

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
Start here ... http://fishandboat.com/water/public/faq_public_waters.htm ... There are very few places you can put a boat in(unless you have permission from a landowner). You can't just park and drag a canoe through the woods.

Valley Forge Park is off limits as I'm pretty sure downtown Philly is LOL.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
With legal questions I think you're best off calling the game commission, or as posted above, the fish commission.
You can hunt from any size boat but the bigger the better.

I personally wouldn't use a 12 footer but I carry and use decoys. If you just want to float up to them and shoot em, you could probably do that once before they wise up and stay out of range. Also, to further explain you cannot use the motor to chase waterfowl so when you shoot your forward momentum from the motor must have stopped (i.e. turn the motor off and come to a stop). Once the river comes up I think a 12 foot boat would be unsafe, just my opinion. I also would want at least a 6hp outboard motor, preferably a 9.9.

·
Registered
4,716 Posts
I think the safety zone thing will be your issue, as it also applies to where you shot lands, very few spots around. I've never checked into it, but I always see good numbers of buffies right in town Conshy, just don't really see anywhere to hunt them. I see the rowers up this way a lot, so there must be a place to put in somewhere, also see the occasional small mouth fisherman. Maybe somewhere up near Norristown? But I know there is a dam between conshy and Ntown. Good luck, have seen plenty of geese on it down past Conshy off the shorekill expressway.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
I hunt small game and deer near the Schuylkill all of the time, there are quite a few waterfowlers out in boats. PM sent to OP.

·
Registered
970 Posts
I know people who successfully float from Birdsboro to Pottstown. Its generally a two vehicle operation. Park one downstream and float from up river.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the info, fellas! That's really great information.

So the motor can't get you up river and then let you float down? That's a shame. I guess I thought the current wasn't so bad because of all the guys who row it.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Talio said:
Thanks for all the info, fellas! That's really great information.

So the motor can't get you up river and then let you float down? That's a shame. I guess I thought the current wasn't so bad because of all the guys who row it.
The only time I'd worry about getting upstream with a gas motor (West Norriton/Valley Forge area) would be after a flood. You are exactly right, if the rowers can get around, you won't have any problems. I've fished here all my life, if anything I'd be more worried about getting in the rocks, not everything is marked.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts