The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Lynn,have you been to this area?

I used to hunt this area back in the 70's,man it was loaded with pheasant!I remember waiting on a deer stand and seeing pheasants all day long!

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have not seen this area. I understand the habitat is pretty good. I know the Schuylkill Chapter has planted a good amount of CREP warm season grass and started to harvest switch grass seed last year. I would like to see it sometime as it's less than an hour from me.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
I'm not sure where exactly the area is going to be, but I hunt the Hegins, Pitman, Rough and Ready, Klingerstown, and Leck Kill area. The farms I hunt have some great habitat, they still have creek beds and hedge rows. Lots of standing grass and good cover for the birds. I hate to lose another area to hunt, but I guess it's a small sacrifice for wild birds. Good luck PF.

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm going to guess the answer to that question is no. I believe there were no populations of wild pheasants in PA prior to the current trap and transfer programs. When I say wild populations I mean self sustaining populations of birds on a scale of more than a few dozen.

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
LynnAppelman said:
I'm going to guess the answer to that question is no. I believe there were no populations of wild pheasants in PA prior to the current trap and transfer programs. When I say wild populations I mean self sustaining populations of birds on a scale of more than a few dozen.
Lynn:

I agree with you. Although I live in Schuylkill County, I married a girl from York County. There were lots of farms in the family, and even up until the mid 80's it was worth the drive down to hunt the wild birds.

We get down quite a bit. I have not seen a bird in years. I occasionally ask her family members. They all give the same answer ... "can't remember the last time I saw a bird."

Can't figure it out. Some of the farms haven't changed at all. You would think there would be a pocket of birds here or there, but nothing.

My absolute all time favorite hunting memories are of those trips. Some with a bunch of buddies, others with just my shorthair and I.

·
Registered
640 Posts
I hunt one of the areas year round. Pheasants do survive the winter there, I've heard them in the spring while turkey hunting. But I know the predator population can be high in that area also. It seems like when they start stocking the fields with pheasants, the coyotes come out of the woodwork.
Plenty of good pheasant habitat there. I would love to see it closed and stocked with wild birds.

·
Registered
640 Posts
If they do close it down for no hunting and sotck the pheasants will it be closed to all hunting or just pheasants. I would rather have it closed period, maybe it would help save some deer in the area.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Pretty exciting stuff for you people in the east. What is the knock on Atrizine use ?

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The atrizine comment has about as much science behind it as the other comment from Mr. "Biologist" who learned a couple big words in school and thinks he knows everything about the plan.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Yes I tried to ignore that, maybe you could post your signature line as a comment.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts