The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking a leasing a piece of land on the Eastern Shore. I have been talking to Ken Schrader. Any body have any thoughts on this outfitter. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
When I was looking at booking a hunt down there, he was recommended to me from someone that hunts the eastern shore regularly. He had nothing but good things to say about his entire operation.

·
Registered
955 Posts
He runs a really nice Sporting Clays operation. Schrader's Bridgetown Manor.

·
Registered
7,781 Posts
I remember a thread about this guy in the past...Leave this go for a few days and you'll hear the good and the bad.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
Yes you will, thats for sure.

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
Big Ken,
You did not have to wait long. One of the fellow hunters in our party wrote something a while back but I was also on the same hunt. Would not recommend this outfitter unless he has really changed his operation.
Tree stands within 50 yards of an interstate.
Deer hunting among geese hunters with shot raining down on us.
Properties that were obviously over hunted.

There are other outfitters down that way. I would not go back to Schraders.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Gotta say....when I was looking at an archery deer hunt in Md I found what I thought to be better guides and better operations. JMHO

·
Registered
955 Posts
Care to share cwa1104sab?

·
Registered
372 Posts
Share as in the other places I looked at and spoke to and felt better about ? Is that what you're asking ? Sure...
Quaker neck, upper chesapeake, deer haven and hopkins. Spoke to them all, had the right answers to the questions I was asking, seemed honest and hard working. In the end I didnt go because I put in for the Georgia gator tag and I was sure I was gonna get drawn since I had enough preference points and I also booked a Maine bear hunt so wifey said no go to a third guided hunt this year. Anything else just ask, I'll tell

Sab

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
I did a "so-called" trophy hunt late muzzleloader at Shraders where it was supposed to be trophy managed and you could not take a buck under 125". Well for the first day and a half - 4 guys saw zero deer let alone a good buck. In 3 days we did finally see a couple small bucks and took a couple does but that was after the 2 guides set up drives and went on neighboring property to try to push some deer to us. This was supposedly a very lightly hunted property. We hunted muzzleloader end of Dec. They had a new JD Gator there that they said was new in September and never left that property - well it had over 600 hours use on it so figure it out that is 150hrs average per month or almost 40 hours of run time a week for 4 months so if it wasn't hunted hard - someone was constantly running that gator around the place. He then went away from guided deer hunts and was trying to start some sort of lease club where he was subletting farms for the season and such to groups. I see he still does some of that but is back in the guided deer hunts again so it must not have worked out as he planned. I don't know about his bird hunts or such but I would never go back and deer hunt with him again. Has to be other, better places.

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
Hmmm... not sure what people expect these days, but I live on the shore not far from a couple guide services, Shraders is one and Cherry Blossom farm the other...
Cherry Blossom Farm

I guess the first thing that came to my mind was it's called "hunting" not "shooting"..

If you want a guaranteed shot at a big antlered buck, go to one of the fenced in game farms.. Shraders and Cherry Blossom both are wide open, no fences. They do try to manage the bucks shot on their farms and leases, but have no control over neighboring farms and leases and the deer are not fenced in.

I think most of us know that a mature buck can be pretty hard to nail down... and during the rut some radio studies have shown them to have about a 10 square mile home range. They might be in this woods today but two miles down the road tomorrow and not back for three weeks! Happened to me just last year. I had a monster under my tree in early November when I had no weapon (arthritis attack). Hunted hard for the next several days and never saw the buck again. Nobody else on our farm ever saw the buck. The buck was killed three weeks later two miles up the road.

I am surrounded by eastern shore farms. I see lots of deer every day. It is only once in a while I see a nice one. This fall I have only seen one buck that looked to be pushing 150 inches. And I have probably seen 200 bucks in the last month.

The so-called "professional hunters" on TV have dumbed-down the hunting experience to the point everybody thinks there is a booner just waiting under their tree. Relax and enjoy the "hunting" experience.

Best regards, Glenn

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
Glenn,
I believe the nature of this forum is to advise others of good and bad when someone is looking for an outing.
As far as Schraders it was simply what was promised versus what was experienced. Being experenced hunters we did not expect to waltz down there and slam down a few 140's in the 1st day. However to go the entire hunt not seeing a deer, sharing the property we were deer hunting on with geese hunters was a little much and not at all expected from a professional guide service.
It was only the last day that the guides decided to do the "push" for which a couple of does were shot and not a rack buck was seen.
If a minimum rack size is required to harvest a buck, shouldn't you at least see a few? A good guide can keep his clients on the deer ,even if they move, That's their job.
When money changes hands then there is an expectation to have an "oppotunity" to harvest what was advertised and discussed. I believe we all have been on bad hunts contributed by weather issues, equipment malfunctions and other out of our control items but when you have deer and bird hunters hunting the same property and properties that are over bunted then you as a customer are not recieving what was advertised and promised, at least that was our case.
I can vouch for the people on this hunt that we are hunters and not a bunch of guys out for a shoot-fest!

·
Registered
7,139 Posts
Eight, could it have been the weather was against you? I know at my place in WV, if it gets warm and muggy its like someone came in and beamed all the deer to the moon, and this is an area with a DPSM of 48ish, heck Ive gone 3 days in gun season and saw 1 doe, and then have the temp drop and shoot back to back 8pts.

·
Registered
7,781 Posts
Our club in Virginia was the same way..A few days of heat and the only time you would see deer would be right at the start of the day, or right at the end...Not unusual to go two or three days without a sighting, then all of a sudden two or three bucks would pop up.

But back to the thread...Ex-wifes boss used to go to Cherry Blossom Farm every year...Don't recall him ever getting anything..I think he went to relax

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
Ghost,
It was warm at the time but I have also hunted other states during a warming trend. The weather may have been a factor but the larger factor was the obvious over hunting of the acreage we were on and the obvious fact that there were geese hunters banging away as we sat within 100 yards of their goose blinds. I haven't seen many deer that would stroll through a field from woodlot to woodlot with a few 10 guage shotguns roaring every 15 minutes.

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
Yea,, I agree with you on that eight point.. that was not right having goose hunters that close... Well, you live and learn.. but I still think we as "hunters" need to realize the tv shows have convinced us all we are inadequate and we should be hanging 150 inchers on the wall every year.

My point is, most of us are lucky to EVER kill a 150 inch buck in the wide open spaces.

I live here on the eastern shore. There are many nice bucks in this part of the country. I watch them everyday in my fields. And, since Maryland is a written permission state, and most of the land is leased it ain't easy for the trespassers and poachers. The hunting clubs and commercial guide services keep a good eye on their property. And, with the explosion in trail cameras, you can bet your last dollar that if you trespass your picture will show up on the web!!

If you want a crack at a nice buck you should look to join a club in MD that has a lease and practices QDMA. Most clubs in this part of the country do. Joining a lease will probably be cheaper than paying for a few days hunting at one of the outfitters.

I know the typical PA hunter thinks it terrible to have to join a club or lease land for hunting. I used to think that way too (I am a PA native).. But, if you want access to the best lands you usually have to pay.

And don't forget, MD bag limits are incredibly liberal. The central MD counties are essentially unlimited on doe.

Best regards, Glenn

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
This ia a quote right from Schraders Hunting website "Whether you hunt with a bow, shotgun or muzzleloader Schrader’s has the spot for you. We hunt thousands of acres on Maryland’s Eastern Shore in Kent, Queen Anne, Talbot and Caroline County also in Kent County Delaware. Our properties offer a wide variety of hunting terrain including: swampland, deep woods, marsh and open grain fields. All areas are heavily populated with whitetail deer. These areas have everything a deer needs including feed, cover, water and the security that comes from light hunting pressure. The deer are provided with standing corn, soy beans and a wide variety of clover and grasses, as well as regulated feeding stations. These farms are under the Quality Deer Management Association (QDM) and harvest from one of these sites can be a doe or a buck that has an antler spread of 16” (roughly the width of the ears) and 8 scorable points or more."

Glenn,
His own advertisement claims he practices QDM. Maybe he should change his advertisement and what he tells his prespective clients to be more realistic.

Nuff said............. I'm done with this!!

·
Registered
7,781 Posts
It's called marketing....If the actual hunting is not as you envision it by reading this add, then it's a safe bet that he doesn't do much repeat business, and adds like this will bring in new customers...They all do it to an extent..

·
Registered
24,796 Posts
This outfiter or another one - it all comes down to doing your own investigation. Let the warm fuzzy feeling you get or don't get be your guide.

How to chose an outfitter

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
I don't see anything in the ad that is misleading. It says they have lots of land, lots of good habitat and food, practice QDM, and you have a chance to see an 8 pointer that is as wide as his ears. You probably also have a chance to see a non-typical 200 incher in this area but they have held back on saying that!

It's nice they have lots of land, but it is still open and no fences. And I suspect the truck traffic on 301 kills more deer than the hunters.

Point is, they ain't no different than my back forty, which is surrounded by thousands of acres of woods, marsh, corn, soybeans, etc. My adjoining neighbor has about 300 acres and he practices QDM. So any buck he saves might end up in my freezer!

Virtually all of the eastern shore is tied up in leases. You could belong to a club that has 50 acres and have just as much a chance at seeing a 16" 8 point as at Shraders.

Sometime if you are in the area, look me up and I will take you on a tour.

Best regards, Glenn

1 - 20 of 22 Posts