The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's up with the local high school no longer giving a day off for Veterans Day? Heck, they get off for MLK day and I think two days for Presidents day. Seems Veterans did a lot for our country, but the school district isn't recognizing it.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
this year being sunday, i didn't really mind. my feeling is that if it falls on a weekday, the schools and jobs should have it off. as a veteran, it makes me mad that schools and jobs don't do this anymore. i observe it in my own way, whether at work or not. fortunately this year i was at my camp that my dad built. he was a bombadier on a B17 during WW2 and is buried at camp. it was a good, quiet way to honor him and others who answered the call. then i went home and watched my boys play in the high school band for a veterans day concert during which they had all the veterans stand up while their respective services songs were played. i'm sure mine wasn't the only damp eye in the house.

·
Registered
19,611 Posts
Guess it just goes to show you where some people list Vets on the food chain.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Banks and state offices are closed but the state stores are open!

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
Buckethead said:
My son had Friday off instead of today.
You should be ashamed making him work at his age........at least he has a job that respects veterans.........

·
Registered
9,265 Posts
I don't think I ever had either day off of school. Possible some years MLK was a day off IF we didn't have a snow day before it, but I don't remember for sure.

Also, it might have to do with how close Veteran's Day is to other holidays. Kids are about to get days off for Thanksgiving, maybe they don't want another day off so close to it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts