The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For all us Scentlok users....

http://www.heinsmills.com/cases/Scent_Lok.html

I feel so duped. And yet I still swear I see more deer and see them closer than before I started using the stuff. Is it coincidence??? I wash all my hunting clothes (except my Scentlok suit) in Sports Wash. I bathe all season with Scent-A-Way. I follow all the manufacturer's directions in regards to the suit, including not putting it on until I reach my stand.

I feel so betrayed and stupid---kind of like I did when they told me there was no Santa Claus.

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
Well, if it sounds too good to be true it probably is. I don't care what you wear other than a plasic bubble, the scent will get out. Could it possible lessen the problem? Maybe, maybe not. Don't know.

I just never bought into their claims as total elimination. That right there should at least make you raise an eyebrow.

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
I still fail to understand how this so called technology ever took off. I've ruffed a few feathers over the years on this topic. I'll just keep my mouth shut for now.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Never believed in all that scent elimination crap. If you want to see how good it is, use it, go hise somewhere and have some tracking dogs try to find you, I bet they will. I smoke on stand and I have had deer as close as ten feet away and I can't remember ever killing a deer when I wasn't smoking at the time or recntly before the kill.

·
Registered
20,874 Posts
Scentlok is a scam.I used it religeously starting in 1996.I used to think I saw more deer at closer range as well but it's easy to convince yourself of that when you just dropped $200 for a pair of underwear.I went through two of the original liners before I realized it was the biggest waste of money out there.

·
Registered
297 Posts
If they would have stuck with "Helps eliminate" rather than get greedy with 'Total Elimination!' they might have gotten away with It.It is very easy to get blind with 'green'

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
As you walk through the woods your body loses millions of dead skin cells that has your scent on them.This is how a bloodhound tracks you.Deer have very sensitive noses I am sure at least as good as a bloodhound..

·
Registered
20,874 Posts
It was deceptive marketing,plain and simple.It crackeds me up when I watched the Dream season one time.They actually got graded by the scent blocker ceo on how well they used the junk.The would kill a big buck but loose points because they didn't have their headcovers on.The guy would almost come out of his skin complaining about it but the buck was dead.A little ironic if you ask me.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Just another gimmick. People are finally starting to see the light.

And John S., I smoke 'bout 3 packs a day...so, I play the wind. I actually practice in the yard with a cigarette hanging out of my yap. LOL

As long as the wind, breeze, or thermals are blowing from the critter to you, ya got nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
I bought into the gimmick about 10 years ago for what seemed like a fortune to me. I followed everything from the directions to a T. That season, I got busted just as much, if not more from the same stands with the same winds, than when I used my camo jean pants and $5 long sleeve black shirt.

Guess what I chose to do after that season, yup, never "buy" into the gimmicks again. Everyone can see my pics on here with my non-scent-lok camo pants and black t-shirt.

·
Banned
6,618 Posts
Does this mean I can print that link, go to Cabelas, and get my money back for a suit bought 3 years ago? I'll bet they'd go for it!

·
Registered
583 Posts
Man I am glad I read that over.....:I was actually going to get a set of pants and bowhunting jacket for this fall....I just saved my self some money!!!!

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Larry said:
Does this mean I can print that link, go to Cabelas, and get my money back for a suit bought 3 years ago? I'll bet they'd go for it!
I was wondering the same thing....And as a result of this ruling, why shouldn't Scentlok be out of business?

As I read the document, it seems to me all they got was a slap on the wrists saying they can't advertise "total elimination". I have 3 suits of various age. What bothers me the most is the "reactivation" statement. I've been fanatic about throwing my suit in the dryer for 40 minutes as soon as I got out of the woods. I ignored all the naysayers on the board who said it was bogus. I was positive, based on the experiences I was having seeing deer closeby, that it was working. And now I'm legally told their statement simply wasn't true. I soooooo confused.

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
i think the reason it "works" for some guys is due to the fact it costs an arm and 2 legs and they take extremely good care of it...storage and usage wise...

thats just my guess...not too many guys store their regular ole camo in special bins, get dressed in the field, never wear it in the truck or in the house or anything etc etc...

but, you got 1000$ of special clothes that tell you not to do that kinda stuff, your likely to listen..which in turn keeps your clothes from picking up foreign scents..which in turn helps keep you from smelling like a gas station while your in the woods....

and, maybe the carbon lining does still help to capture/contain/something human scent...???

what about all the sprays/soaps/detergents/etc etc on the market????

some of that stuff my own nose can smell...even my dead down wind has a weird smell...but i swear it helps...i use dead down wind sprays and soaps and shampoos and scent lok...i cant remember being actually winded using my ways...so i wont change.....last years archery buck followed my scent drag line right to the base of my tree where i shot him...he shoulda picked up my scent.....or his skull wouldnt be hangin on my wall...poor guy musta had a sinus infection...lol

everyone got their own methods and own believes...i struggled seeing deer until i started my routine now...which consists of never wearing my hunting gear anywhere other than in the woods and the dead down wind stuff...and my camo happens to be scentlok...if for nothing else, its quality gear IMO...

·
Registered
20,874 Posts
You can sue me if you want but I'll stand behind smoke as the best defense against a deer's nose.

I agree with you about some of the sprays smelling.I'll also go one step farther and say that scentlok has a fairly strong,district odor.

I do believe that the metalist clthing seems to work as advertised.

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
I have proof that the spray works. Several years ago I bought some just to try because it was fairly cheap. I got home after work one day of wearing leather dress shoes in colored socks. Anybody out there that wears the same knows what I mean. I sprayed my feet just to see what happened. Completely gone with just a couple squirts.

While I will use it lessen the problem, the problem will never go away. There is just too many forms of scent the body produces.

Like I said earlier. The clothing may reduce the oder, but "total elimination" is a false statement. There is nothing you can do to totally eliminate hunam scent.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts