The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can one use vanilla scented body wash or body lotions prior to hunting deer ? (to help maintain silky soft skin through out the hunting season of course)

·
Registered
140 Posts
I'm not sure whether to take this as a serious question or not? The answer would be yes. It's not illegal to use scents for deer.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes it's a serious question.(how could you even doubt.) Not sure but you cant use scents if it's that of a food source.

·
Super Moderator
12,806 Posts
hmmmm is vanilla a food source to a deer??? or even a bear???

sure they might be DRAWN to that scent....but, would it fall into the food source category?

i always thought vanilla was just a curiosity scent...

theres a few scents on the market labeled as "early season curiousity scents" that smell like vanilla...i smelled one that smelled like peppermint or something....

chew some Skoal vanilla...or apple..and spit under your tree
or would that be illegal too????

i really had no idea vanilla was illegal....?

·
Registered
645 Posts
Vanilla? Even if deer were attracted to vanilla, the OTC vanilla scented body washes and lotions are synthetic, and only fool us. They won't fool the deer. It will smell like an EPA chemical super sight in NJ to them. Synthetics that are used in wafers are molecularly identical to the natural scent they mimic, thus they will fool the deer.

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
I've never seen deer feeding on Vanilla... not sure why it's a food source to a deer.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Do you think PA deer ever smelled real vanilla, it isn't like we have vanilla bean trees in PA. I doubt they stand around and have a herd debate on the merits of real vanilla compared to synthetic.

·
Registered
4,163 Posts
for deer hunting it would fly, bear hunting it would be baiting........bob

·
Registered
167 Posts
im headin to a strip club friday night and hunting saturday, so i will let you know how the vanilla works, ha!

·
Registered
140 Posts
I'd like to correct myself here because I don't want to give you any wrong ideas. Your question threw me off because you are probably not going to get arrested for the type of soaps and body lotions you choose to use if that's your fancy. It would however be illegal if you were intentionally putting out food scents to lure deer ie. corn, acorn, vanilla....

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
Since when was the law based on intentions? For example...baiting is baiting whether you intentionally placed a pile of apples in the woods or hunted near a pile of apples that somebody else put in the woods.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
GreenGhost said:
I'd like to correct myself here because I don't want to give you any wrong ideas. Your question threw me off because you are probably not going to get arrested for the type of soaps and body lotions you choose to use if that's your fancy. It would however be illegal if you were intentionally putting out food scents to lure deer ie. corn, acorn, vanilla....
So acorn or apple cover scent sprayed on my boots is an illegal act?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Double Lung 20 said:
Since when was the law based on intentions? For example...baiting is baiting whether you intentionally placed a pile of apples in the woods or hunted near a pile of apples that somebody else put in the woods.
A lot of law is based on intent.

All I'm saying is there would have to be a certain degree of intent proven for someone to get arrested for using food scents to lure deer. It's going to be hard to prove someone is wearing apple scented body lotion to attract deer. Now perhaps if he was wearing extremely excessive amounts maybe? Or if he took that bottle of lotion and dumped it all over a stump and it was evident that deer for whatever reason were attracted to it that might be a different story.

·
Registered
4,163 Posts
justgrad25 said:
So acorn or apple cover scent sprayed on my boots is an illegal act?
as a food based scent i would say yes....i told one of my neigbors that he would get cited if he got caught using crushed apples in water that he lets sit out in the sun to ferment and used it on his boots and surrounding area when in his tree stand....he said it's not a pile of apples the deer can eat, i said it don't matter as it was still an apple scent that brings deer to him....no wonder he gets a nice buck almost every year and don't take me to his spots
........bob

1 - 20 of 21 Posts