The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking about acorns for some reason tonight. An idea crossed my mind but I'm doubting if it would even be legal. Say you were to gather a bunch of acorns and take them home. Before going out hunting you grind some of them up, in a blender perhaps. I dont know how much, a cup lets say. When you get to your stand you scatter the acorn puree, assuming the smell of the acorn mash might interest some deer. I would think all blended up like that the scent would be fairly stong and travel well? Would this be considered baiting though? Probably I guess it is, oh well just wanted to see what others thought.

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
It's called Acorn Rage . Available at walmart. And yes, it's bait if residue is present within 30 days of hunting season. Why not just scout and find the natural food sources and hunt there ?

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow thanks for the sarcasm. I'm aware of the availability of acorn rage. Never intended to do this just wodered if it would be legal. Also I scout year round and know my forest pretty darn well so I really dont need the lecture. Your third sentence would have done just fine.

Thanks for responding.

·
Registered
19,814 Posts
I am sure deer would find it attractive but it would be illegal in PA if you plan to hunt over or around it.

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
croz2173 said:
Wow thanks for the sarcasm. I'm aware of the availability of acorn rage. Never intended to do this just wodered if it would be legal. Also I scout year round and know my forest pretty darn well so I really dont need the lecture. Your third sentence would have done just fine.

Thanks for responding.
There was no hint of sarcasm in my response nor was there a lecture .
A. Someone already makes a similar product .
B. Yes it's baiting .
C. Why would you want to do that ? I asked a question. Do you hunt in the SRA's?

·
Registered
5,161 Posts
Even if you kept the mashed up acorns in a perforated container, just to release the scent, and the deer couldn't eat it, it would still be illegal to hunt with.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No I dont hunt SRA's. Usually i'm a mile or two back in the national forest. I was reading a thread in the game camera section about attractants and it got me thinking about this so I posted it. Its never been my plan to draw to in, id rather catch them moving naturally. Again it was just a thought.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts