The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are scent lock clothes really worth the extra money? I've only had a scent lock hood, so I can't say I've used their equipment enough to know. But you can figure on adding $100 to a pair of scent lock hunting pants compared to regular. I wash all my clothes un-scented detergent and store them in airtight bags. I also think it comes down to playing the wind correctly. Just curious to know if people think it is worth the extra money.

·
Super Moderator
12,514 Posts
They are very well made and will last for years. Are they any big advantage for success?? I have mostly good camo and wash them with um-scented detergent store them in a cabinet when not in use, take them out a week or so before the season, hang them on the line then pack them in a bag of leaves which supplies the scent from the great out doors and try my best to set down wind of where I think a buck might approach....I think one will do well with either method....

·
Registered
424 Posts
I've heard a lot of discussion that they are hype. The science just can't uphold the claims since only a finite amount of odor can be absorbed and they can never truly be recharged in a dryer. There are warmer, quieter clothes out there for less money.

·
Registered
331 Posts
All hype, just care for your regular clothes with scent free wash and dryer sheets, store them in the big ziplocks and be done.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Not worth it IMO. I think if you wash your self and your clothes with scent free soap and just spray your regular clothes with scent killer or leave them outside to air out well is probably just as good and a lot cheaper.

·
Registered
19,601 Posts
I always used unscented laundry soap on my clothes then store them in a vacuum sealed bag.
Never felt the scent-Lok was worth the added expense.
I hunt with a guy that even I can smell the Hoope #9 from his gun 25 yards away and he smokes a pipe while hunting, yet we never have problems getting up on game.
Wind direction and depending how pressured the animal is to move is more important then the scent we give off.
Maybe archery is more necessary but not so sure during rifle season.
Think scent lok clothes are going to help the guy who usually doesn't walk up a flight of steps and now is trying to walk a quarter of a mile up hill and is huffing and puffing and burping up the pepperoni and beer he had the night before??

·
Registered
16,556 Posts
I own a scent lock suit and it works great, I have killed lots of deer while bow hunting from the ground. farthest shot was 20 yards closest was 8 yards or so.

this got me to thinking and experimenting. I got the same results with using unscented everything and spraying my clothes with different brands of scent killer sprays, none seemed to work better than the others. deer kill results were the same when playing the wind.

I set up next to pine / hemlocks and rub the needles until I can smell the pine scent, this helps cover or disguise my scent (maybe) I have also urinated in a mock deer scrape and killed deer too.

the use of deer scents helps attract deer but I believe everything is highly over rated and mostly not needed.

how many big bucks have we killed every year using all the stuff they advertise on TV shows. get comfortable, sit still, and set up in a high traffic area (for deer
)

and you will get some venison. cant kill big bucks where they don't exist.

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
They are made to last if you take care of them. Good amount of pockets, warm, comfortable, etc... But as for scent control, I wouldn't bank on it.

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
I did the whole scent lock suite before, never had success like i do when i play the wind. Had deer wind me while in scentlock, had them wind me while doing the whole shower, wash, spray everything with scent free crap.. Still get busted. The only sure way to keep a deer from smelling you is to be downwind of it.

I forget who it was on here, but they once said... To compare a deer's sense of smell to ours... You walk into grandma's house, you can smell she's been cooking apple pie. A deer walk's into Grandma's house, it can tell you every ingredient in the apple pie.

·
Registered
19,601 Posts
One of the guys who comes up and hunts with me is a Jersey resident and he went out and brought this Ozonix thing.
Think he said he payed around 500 bucks for it. Looks like a cubed shape space heater. He swears by it hunting Jersey.
I told they weren't legal to use in Pa since they are considered an electronic hunting aid by definition of the PA hunting laws.

·
Registered
7,139 Posts
My buddies all were using scent lock clothing, however none of them would take my bet, my bet was, you put a pheasant wing under your scent lock and Ill bet you 100 bucks my bird dog can find you guess they arnt that dumb after all lol.

Hunt the wind each and every day.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts