The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I always see guys post about scent and how its going to scare k9s away from your sets so I took some pics on set day. My kid handled everything bare handed from traps to sifters and trowels. She also made and lured sets, mock and the real thing. She was in and out of the truck, chewing gum, picking her nose etc. Guess what? We still caught critters the very next day......... Just some food for thought.

School had a two hour delay so she got to check on the way to school....

·
Registered
6,180 Posts
At least someone in the family can catch fur

Nice pictures

Our daughter and son, at the same age, did the same, with the same results. (30+ years ago)

·
Registered
4,148 Posts
Yeah, well you can't go comparing Critter to just your ordinary every day kid, that's not fair. Tell her to try doing that in sneakers rather that pink rubber boots and get back to us.
Good job, Dad.

Mine won't be far behind: They liked Daddy's little buck.

·
Banned
618 Posts
Great picks all the way around!!

I wear gloves while setting traps for two reasons:

1. It saves my hands
2. It keeps me from touching traps after I get lure/bait/urine on my hands

I’ve set plenty of traps with no gloves and have had little or no problems. I used to crew, spit on the ground, with no issues there either. I’ve taken kids, adults that were worse than kids along as well. I do not see how you can go wrong being careful about it, but I do not see it as a deal breaker in the average situation.

I wear pink boots just like that and I never shoot bucks like that, mine must be broken.

·
Registered
161 Posts

Purple boots catch more fur, I thought everyone knew that. She made that set the day before, with a little help from dad.
But, I do believe there are times, especially later in the season when fox will stand back from sets with too much stink. Early, dumb pups, you could roll around on the ground and it probably wouldn't matter.

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
Geeze, a coyote the first night after she was all over? Can I borrow her?

Now who was it on here last season I believe, who has an autistic son he took on the line with him? He said the boy made or helped make some weird sets in odd places and actually caught foxes or something.

·
Registered
3,747 Posts
I just think with the amount of OM light smell in the area of your sets the animals cant detect anything else.

·
Registered
5,364 Posts
glad you posted that renny. cuz today was the first day i got a chance to get out and i felt like a newbie again. couple trips to the truck for forgoten gear, knocking over the bucket, taking way too long , ect.
i believe poorly bedded traps and poor locations are MUCH worse a thing than human scent.

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
paws -- You made me go back and look through 5 years of pics as I thought I had one with her wearing purple boots. Yellow, red, white, black, etc.... no purple. Might have to give that a try next time...

Smtn -- You haven't been around in a while have you?

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
I think you can get away with alot trapping fox.not as much trapping yotes.I also think alot depends on where you trap.I trap deep in the gamelands for yotes and I don't think I can be too cautious with my scent as its really unnatural.I may be wrong as I take every precaution since I feel its better to be safe then sorry with all the effort it takes to get my sets in
Looks like you have a trapper in the making there.Heck, she's probably already better then me

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
While I agree that some are way to concerned about unatural odors, I always have to wonder, how many would have been caught if at least some precautions are taken.

How many avoidances do we have that are unknown in those sets that didn't connect, is what concerns me when caution is thrown to the wind with scent.

A guy sets 20 traps or so and makes say 3 catches with human odor in excess. Could it have been a better take with precautions? IMO yep. Different strokes for different folks.

·
Registered
972 Posts
I agree but also it depends where the set is at in regards to human interaction. In example near a farm vs in the remote wilderness.

Denny

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Denny -- Yes. There was a square bale left behind by the gas line guys and I just decided to use it. Nice pic!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts