The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A bird gobbles at 11:30 am(first week)..he's on property you can't go on and you know you can't hunt the property you are on for at least a week again because of work..What do you do?

·
Premium Member
24,189 Posts
Walk away.

·
Super Moderator
1,750 Posts
Are you talking before the season starts or during season? The reason I ask is you said "the property you are on for at least a week". If it is during the season than why would you be on it now when your not allowed for at least a week.

·
Registered
10,959 Posts
kiotee said:
A bird gobbles at 11:30 am..he's on property you can't go on and you know you can't hunt the property you are on for at least a week...What do you do?
Is it a day where you have to quit at 12:00 or one when you can hunt until dark?? If it's a day where you can hunt until dark then I don't care what time it is, I'm gonna try calling him.

·
Registered
826 Posts
I'd sneak out of the woods and go try to get permission to hunt the ground he's on, and go from there.

·
Registered
992 Posts
I guess I'm missing something here. Why wouldn't you just call him in and dust him? Is it an ethical question, a strategy question, or a legal question?

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
With a half hour of hunting time I would set up and try to call him onto the property where I have permission and kil him when he gets there! Thats kind of a no-brainer isn't it?

·
Super Moderator
1,750 Posts
Okay Kiotee here is what I would do since I can't be there for another week because of work: I would call off work due to personal reasons, that takes care of that problem HA HA HA. Then I would sneak into the area but not too close and wait to see if I can hear him fly up then at dark thirty sneak back out. If I heard him fly up or even gobble I would sneak back in to a position between where I heard him the day before at 11:30 and his roost. Then banking on him going that route again I would give him some soft clucks and yelps after he gobbled a few times on the roost then shut up and wait. I would let him make his move. If he goes the other way I am in a position to pick up and move on him and try him at another set-up position if he doesn't go onto the posted property

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
kiotee said:
A bird gobbles at 11:30 am(first week)..he's on property you can't go on and you know you can't hunt the property you are on for at least a week again because of work..What do you do?
You have thirty minutes to work him. Try and call him over to the property you can hunt on. I killed my longbeard last spring at 1150 am on the first monday of the season. He was also on a neighboring property that I could not hunt. I coaxed him thru a barbed wire fence between the properties and killed him with 10 minutes left to hunt. Never give in until the last minute to hunt has expired.

·
Registered
972 Posts
I would not lose any sleep if I hunted til noon and didn't kill him. Easy to walk away from. I doubt it is the only one in that neck of the woods. If someone slips in and whacks him, so what...... Greener pastures await

·
Registered
826 Posts
fall gobbler said:
A bird gobbling at 11:30 am brings a HUGE smile to my face.
So does one laying in the bed of the truck at 7:30 am !!!!

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
SnoodStretcher said:
With a half hour of hunting time I would set up and try to call him onto the property where I have permission and kil him when he gets there! Thats kind of a no-brainer isn't it?
He wouldn't have an hour and a half. He would have a half an hour. Stop hunting by noon...OUT OF THE WOODS BY 1:00 PM!!!

·
Registered
992 Posts
I can see that for most of you guys with a half hour to go this bird is in the freezer, done deal. Hope you bought your 2nd gobbler tag for SCENE 2.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I'm for sure calling to this bird trying to get him to come to me. If it doesn't work out I'll be back hunting on my next day off.

·
Registered
496 Posts
A lot of guys make it sound easy, just sit down and call him and kill him in 30 minutes. I guess they fill their two tags with the first two gobblers they hear. I would certainly try to call to him and would expect I may not kill him this day. And I would hope he's there the next day I can hunt and maybe on my side of the posted signs.

·
Registered
4,309 Posts
mightyjoeyoung said:
SnoodStretcher said:
He wouldn't have an hour and a half. He would have a half an hour. Stop hunting by noon...OUT OF THE WOODS BY 1:00 PM!!!
Did you read something the rest of us didn't? Better proof read what you're arguing about and then see if it still makes sense.

I'd cutt to the bird and give him 5 minutes to move towards me. If he doesn't I'd hit him with my rendition of a gobbler fight and sit tight until the bell rings.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts