The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to get a shotgun for the wife to shoot skeet with. I have a 12 gauge and I know thats too much for her. I barrowed a buddies 20 gauge and she said it was still to much. What should I try next? Is the .410 or 28 gauge ok for just shooting skeet? That is all she will be shooting with it. Thanks in advance.

Bob

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
put a recoil system on a semi auto 12gauge - she won't even know she's shooting

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
I would go with the 28 before the 410. 28 has more shot so it will be easy for her to break targets. The 410 would work but it might discurage her if shes not breaking targets. Hope she enjoys it and you will have a new shooting partner.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for all the advise. I will see if I can round up a 28 gauge that I can see if I could get her to shoot.

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
I would try a gas auto 20 first. Most 28 gauge guns are $$$$$$, and so are the shells. The recoil of a 20 gauge shotgun is pretty light. An auto is even less.

If you already have a 20 gauge try shooting some light loads, and add some weight to the gun. Shouldn't be too hard to do.

The recoil of a 20 gauge can hardly be felt, but it can be seen. IMO the biggest thing she can do to help the situation would be to start focusing on the targets and not the gun.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
I would go with the 28 gauge. I shoot higher skeet scores with my 28 gauge than I do with my 12 gauge and it is my go to gun for bird hunting as well because it is a pleasure to carry. 410s on the skeet field are for really good shooters because there is little margine for error.

·
Banned
19,532 Posts
hunt/fish365 said:
If you already have a 20 gauge try shooting some light loads, and add some weight to the gun. Shouldn't be too hard to do.
Every now and then you'll find a gun which had some lead shot thrown in the hole in the stock to add weight.

On my Browning O/U, I had a recoil suppressor put in: Added weight, and has a hydraulic dampener.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Tha 20 gauge she saw me shoot was a moss 500 pump. Nothing special, just a plain janer. Shes also not to hip on the noise. I dont know what to do to get her to even shoot it. She saw it "move" me and wouldnt even fire it. She loves shooting my ruger 1022 and wants to take that skeet shooting. I told her shes not that good. lol She is looking for someting with lower noise levels and very very little recoil. thanks

Bob

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Ear plugs will take care of the noise problem.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
I would try a 20 gauge semi, that fits her. The action take some of the recoil out of it, and for the noise as stated use ear plugs.

·
Registered
889 Posts
A Mossberg 500 in 20 gauge is going to kick. The Mossberg is known to be a kicker.

A 20 gauge should work. I think you need to go with a shotgun that properly fits her. That is the real key to controlling recoil. FIT.

A semi-auto can also reduce the recoil a good bit, depending on which type you buy.

Are you shooting skeet at a certified skeet range-or just shooting clay targets from a thrower??

If you are shooting at a certified skeet range then you need to stay with a 20 gauge, or even a 12 gauge. If you buy her a 28 or .410 then you are cutting her off at the knees before she even starts to learn. Not enough shot for a beginning shooter to break the birds effectively.

I am positive that with a proper fitting 12 gauge semi-auto, with light 2-3/4 Dram 1 oz loads that she will be able to handle it. If not then the sport is not for her. There is minimal recoil difference between a 20 gauge and 12 gauge super light load. You are still throwing about the same amount of shot at about the same velocity. I have seen properly fitted 12 gauge semi's that kicked less than 20 gauges.

So my advice is forget about the gauge. Find a shotgun that fits her. Then shoot a light load that is heavy on the shot so as to break the birds.

How much are you wiling to spend?? Go to a good shotgun dealer who handles a bunch of shotguns. If you are willing to spend a little cash then he will set you up with a proper shotgun for her. Tom.

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
Gas operated semi automatic 20 gauge. Remington 1100 or something like it that has some weight to it.

One thing to think about. If you buy a cheap 28 gauge you will quickly make up for any money that you might have saved in buying shells for it.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
HOGGHEAD said:
I am positive that with a proper fitting 12 gauge semi-auto, with light 2-3/4 Dram 1 oz loads that she will be able to handle it. If not then the sport is not for her. There is minimal recoil difference between a 20 gauge and 12 gauge super light load. You are still throwing about the same amount of shot at about the same velocity. I have seen properly fitted 12 gauge semi's that kicked less than 20 gauge
I have to agree - as I stated before get her a semi auto 12ga and if the recoil is too much put a recoil system on it.
If you'd like to try a couple - come on down to Elstonville on a Wed evening or a Sunday morning and I'll bring my Beretta teknys gold 12ga and my Beretta 303 20ga and teach her to shoot.
I help people all the time and would be happy to help her learn to enjoy the sport.
Bring your own ear plugs!!!!

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Wow thanks for all the support and suggestions. I never knew the 500 is known to kick...I have a 535 12 gauge and it kicks like a mull but I can handle it. A buddy of mine has all kinds of shotguns, I will take her to his house and see if he has any that fit her and have her shoot one of them.

I dont know how to describe it, but its not so much the noise. Its the thought of a "big" gun making lots of noise. I seriously cant keep my 1022 out of her hands when we go to the range. Yesterday she had to have went threw 500 rounds easy. Its quiet and no kick. She doesnt worry about a bullet flying off and killing someone. She was never brought up around gun, so I am her first influence on them. I always try to be very careful and show her the right way to do everything, but yet she is nervious about a "big" gun. I think its all mental for her hearing a big boom with some recoil. When I first met her, she wouldnt even shoot my 22. She didnt hunt or want to for that matter. Just today she asked me if a 22 would be a good woodchuck gun. I told her ABSOLUTELY! If I can get her to shoot a woodchuck...deer are next. lol

On a side note, I can tell she is coming around to my way of livin...I saw a corvette and said "someday babe I'll get you one of them" She smiled and said" sweety, I would much rather have a jacked up truck with mudders and stacks blowin black smoke, smokin one of them at a red light" My heart about melted...she finally gets it.

Anyways thanks for the advise. I'll keep you all posted with what I come up with sometime this week.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Get her a GAS operated semiautomatic in 20 gauge. There is a big difference in recoil. And she has to use hearing protection anyway when shooting. You might as well make sure she is learning properly.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts