The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Administrator
28,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My apologies for the quality of the pics. They comeout a little shaky when you hold the camera at arms length for a close-up but are ready to run like the wind.

Body length on these critters is about two inches with the tail being 3-4 times that much.
The yellow head and legs combined with the black overall color of the body give them a wasplike look for sure.
I've got my suspicions as to what they really are, but if anyone would care to take a guess....
Hint: These were taken approximately 45 feet from a large body of water.

·
Registered
5,159 Posts
It's a Giant Ichneumon Wasp. It appears you've taken pictures of a female. The long "tail" is actually an ovipositer. The female uses it to lay eggs. Males of the species don't have one. The eggs that she will lay are parasitic, and will feast on the host organism that the female lays the egss in/on

·
Administrator
28,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Borden811 said:
It's a Giant Ichneumon Wasp. It appears you've taken pictures of a female. The long "tail" is actually an ovipositer. The female uses it to lay eggs. Males of the species don't have one. The eggs that she will lay are parasitic, and will feast on the host organism that the female lays the egss in/on
Somebody give this man a cigar! I Googled "Giant Ichneumon Wasp" and it's clear that he knows his wasps!
Thanks Borden811.

·
Registered
7,007 Posts
Can I guess, huh huh can I can I.......its a, one of them thingys with the big tail and the flappy wings....oh yea a female Giant Ichneumon Wasp.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts