The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you guys keep both lights on at all times when calling, or do you always keep your scan light on and turn the gun light on some of the time like when you see eyes?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,045 Posts
Double Lung 20 said:
Do you guys keep both lights on at all times when calling, or do you always keep your scan light on and turn the gun light on some of the time like when you see eyes?
Yes
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
602 Posts
I leave my gun light off til I see eyes then turn off scanning light and light them up with the gun light....can see through scope alittle better with scan light off in my opinion
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
457 Posts
Never shot anything but I usually go with my dad and brother or just brother and one of us will scan we keep the gun lights off untill were going to shoot.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
693 Posts
I use my scanning light the whole time ... When I see eyes, I will turn my gun light on and identify what it is ... I never shut my scanning light off
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
925 Posts
mcharlton said:
I use my scanning light the whole time ... When I see eyes, I will turn my gun light on and identify what it is ... I never shut my scanning light off
You should shut off your scanning light after you turn on your gun light for two reasons, one is it's easier to see through your scope with your scanning light off and two is you will light yourself up. The scanning light will be shining on your gun
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
693 Posts
I've never had a problem seeing through my scope with my scanning light on ... And I haven't noticed lightin myself up that way ... When I bring my head down to my rifle my scanning light is always shining to the right of my rifle (just the way your head will naturally fall) ... I just don't see the need to cause extra movement in turning your scanning light off to shoot. I believe that extra movement will cause you to get busted more than anything
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
2,567 Posts
mcharlton said:
I've never had a problem seeing through my scope with my scanning light on ... And I haven't noticed lightin myself up that way ... When I bring my head down to my rifle my scanning light is always shining to the right of my rifle (just the way your head will naturally fall) ... I just don't see the need to cause extra movement in turning your scanning light off to shoot. I believe that extra movement will cause you to get busted more than anything
Agree...... hunted for years before the GML was allowed. I think to much emphasis is placed on it. It is nice to have and to use but IMO it really is not necessary.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
925 Posts
If you have the gun mounted light shining in their eyes how will they see movement from turning off the scanning light? If the light is in their eyes all they are seeing is a gray halo which you and any movement is hidden behind.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
2,567 Posts
If you have the gun mounted light shining in their eyes how will they see movement from turning off the scanning light?
So you are holding your rifle in the shoring position with one hand as you are reaching up to your head to switch a light of? Just trying to understand.......
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
693 Posts
Turning off my scanning light to use my gun light is just totally not needed for me ... I can see through my scope just fine with both on ... I just don't see the point of adding any extra movement ...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18,567 Posts
mcharlton said:
I use my scanning light the whole time ... When I see eyes, I will turn my gun light on and identify what it is ... I never shut my scanning light off
+1
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
524 Posts
When hunting by myself I scan with a headlamp. When I have eyes coming in, I turn my gun light on, put that on the animal and follow that with the gun in my tri-pod. While doing that I turn off my headlamp.
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top