The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Administrator
14,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SB 737 (Semi Auto use) is also on the move.   

SB 737 Amends Title 34 (Game), in hunting and furtaking, further providing for unlawful devices and methods adding that semiautomatic rifle may be used to hunt game in accordance with regulations promulgated by the commission. (The PGC would have to implement regulations specifying when and where they can be used.)

This bill has support for final passage, however it is being bogged down by numerous amendments, most of which are not good for sportsmen.  So when emailing/calling your Representative for support on SB 1166 and SB 1168, ask that they also support passage of SB 737 without amendments.  

·
Registered
18,573 Posts
Hoping a clean bill can move through. I have been continuing to put pressure on my elected officials to work to move Pa out of the dark ages when it comes to semi automatic and air power for hunting.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Any word on this bill? When I look up its history, it says that it was removed from the table on Sept. 21. I'm assuming that means it isn't moving anywhere?

·
Registered
135 Posts
PJ Reilly said:
Any word on this bill? When I look up its history, it says that it was removed from the table on Sept. 21. I'm assuming that means it isn't moving anywhere?
Actually, the term means the opposite. A bill removed from the table is taken up for consideration.

·
Registered
25,476 Posts
Appears that most current bills involving our outdoors interests have been stalled again, although there is some hope they'll see some action in October.

Same old story.

Semi use, license increases to fund our agencies, leashed tracking dogs and some other issues, never seem to get much attention from those elected to represent us?

·
Registered
25,476 Posts
Almost every attempt at making changes in how we hunt here, is "too controversial", according to some?

Things that have been SOP in most other states for years, seldom stand a chance of becoming accepted here in PA.

All it takes to maintain the status quo here, is a bit of resistance in the Legislature, from some segment of our fellow hunters, or from some special interest group.

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Again, too "hot" for most legislators to handle.

Maybe I'll be proved wrong.

Don't see a problem allowing PGC to regulate semi auto use but its not a pressing issue.

·
Registered
24,796 Posts
Here is the NRA email blast on the correct Semmi Auto use bill:

https://www.nraila.org/articles/20161026...gislation-today

Bill is HB (House Bill) 263

Where it stands:

Short Title:
An Act amending Title 34 (Game) of the Pennsylvania Consolidated Statutes, in hunting and furtaking, further providing for unlawful devices and methods; and, in hunting and furtaking licenses, further providing for elk hunting licenses.
Actions:
PN 0267
Referred to GAME AND FISHERIES, Feb. 2, 2015

Reported as committed, April 15, 2015

First consideration, April 15, 2015

Laid on the table, April 15, 2015

Removed from table, April 20, 2015

Second consideration, April 21, 2015

Re-committed to APPROPRIATIONS, April 21, 2015

Re-reported as committed, April 22, 2015

Third consideration and final passage, April 22, 2015 (196-0)

In the Senate

Referred to GAME AND FISHERIES, May 1, 2015

Reported as committed, June 16, 2015

First consideration, June 16, 2015

Laid on the table, July 13, 2015

Removed from table, July 13, 2015

Laid on the table, Oct. 19, 2015

Removed from table, Oct. 19, 2015
PN 2535
Second consideration, with amendments, Nov. 16, 2015

Laid on the table (Pursuant to Senate Rule 9), Nov. 24, 2015

Removed from table, Oct. 18, 2016
PN 4122
<span style="font-weight: bold">Amended on third consideration, Oct. 25, 2016 (37-11)</span>

(Remarks see Senate Journal Page ), Oct. 25, 2016

The bill needs to return the House for concurrence.

The amendments were:

Removes the sunset provision for the Governors Elk License (was to sunset in 2018 - amendment makes the gov Elk License permanent.

Dedicates portion of proceeds permanent to Rocky Mnt Elk Foundation rather than sharing with various sportsman organizations - changed last session.

The other amendment removed the original language of the bill repealing the language prohibiting semi auto's to amending the language to allow the GC to set seasons and regulation.

Something most are missing are the brackets at 5.

[(5) Any device operated by air, chemical or gas
cylinder by which a projectile of any size or kind can be
discharged or propelled.]

This removes the language, and if passed and signed the law prohibiting air guns. by default, the GC would be able to set seasons and bag limits / usage regulation for them.

Bill detail page:

http://www.legis.state.pa.us/cfdocs/bill...pe=B&bn=263

Current language with amendments at PN 4122

·
Registered
24,796 Posts
I still think Wolf will not sign this bill. As a "D" he is genetically disposed be anti gun and more to the point - against anything semi auto that translates to "assault rifle".

Matters not if he has the facts, that there are facts, or that the facts are correct. The party, more than any individual has deemed these weapons as the source of all evil in this country - able to leap tall buildings, and kill tens of thousands all by themselves.

It will be a tall order for Wolf to affix his hand to a bill allowing expanded use of these evil weapons of war...

(Their language - not mine. I am simply re-stating the Democratic party line on semi auto weapons. )

·
Registered
25,476 Posts
Well, the amended bill (now includes PGC to approve any use of semis, as well as air rifles), passed the Senate handily and goes back to the House for concurrence AS amended. We shall see.

There is also some opposition in the Senate on the revised pre-emption bill allowing individuals and orgs to sue local municipalities over firearms ordinances.

Since the state already has that pre-eminence, would be much simpler if the AG just informed municipalities when they're in violation of state law?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts