1 - 20 of 137 Posts

·
Administrator
14,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Super Moderator
13,656 Posts
This legislation needs to get passed and without any amendments or riders being attached to it.

Let me first say that it is the responsibility of the State Legislature to keep all of the state agencies adequately funded to meet their legislatively charged mission and responsibilities. It is their responsibility and theirs alone. No one else can do it but them. Yet in the case of the Game the State Legislature has completely failed at their responsibility and it has come to the point it is starting to have a seriously detrimental effect on our wildlife, habitat management and various hunter programs.

I think all across the state we need to launch into a campaign encouraging everyone, hunters and non-hunters alike, to let our Legislators know that we will not vote for any incumbent Senator and Representative until they pass a hunting license increase bill. I know some of them are good people but the fact is they have failed. They ALL need to be held accountable for that failure until they get the job done.

Who is with me on starting this as a statewide movement?

Dick Bodenhorn

·
Registered
18,573 Posts
The state legislature also has failed to address the bloated and failing state pension system that will inpact everybody, not just hunters. The majority of any increase in taxes or fees goes directly to kicking the bucket down the road towards impending collapse.

The pressure should instead be put on the state legislature to address the real elephant in the room and no incumbent Senator or Representative will get a vote until they finally fix the real issue this state is facing.

Once the pension system is corrected, the increase to taxes and/or fees where go towards what it should go towards. In the case of the PGC, wildlife management, habitat management, outreach, and hunter programs. Not the elephant in the room which loves his peanuts.

·
Registered
9,622 Posts
The commission has totally mismanaged themselves financially and habitat wise for the past 10 years, and now they want a blank check to run the agency? I dont think so. Time to fold them into DCNR.

·
Registered
5,790 Posts
Yep I been saying it for years.
An organization that's out of control!!!!!
Anymore after past season experience I have to agree. I would refer to it as the Pa. Gostapo Commission! When there people can run across my property with out permission or search warrant is what the Nazi's did. If you want to walk across my land you get my permission or a warrant simple as that. I understand they are looking for something or they would not be there. My right a s a property owner as I stated permission or warrant, my dad served in ww11 to help preserve this right. I don't want to hear the intimidation they are taught either about having something to hide, its a right we gained after the Revolutionary war.

·
Super Moderator
13,656 Posts
The commission has totally mismanaged themselves financially and habitat wise for the past 10 years, and now they want a blank check to run the agency? I dont think so. Time to fold them into DCNR.
I have reached the point where I am all for the Game Commission being folded into the DCNR.

Then wildlife management, and all other functions of the Game Commission, will be funded through tax dollars with the hunting license fees going to the state’s general fund account and used where ever the Legislature and Governor designate it to be used. They will no longer have a Board of Commissioners and instead a Secretary will head the agency.

I think it will be good because hunters will no longer have a voice at the Commission meetings since there will no longer be Commission meetings. They will still have a voice with their State Legislature, but they already have and use that. But, I don’t figure their voice is going carry much weight since hunters are less than 8% of the population and probably even less than that of the voting pool.

The license fees will no longer be a contentious matter for hunters because once the money is going to the state’s general fund the Legislature simply isn’t going to be at all concerned whether the hunters are happy about the price of the licenses and stamps or not. I’ll bet we never again see another period of even ten years, let alone, twenty year, between license increases.

Just think about how often the motor vehicle registration has increased over the past twenty years and how many time they came out and asked vehicle owners how they felt about an proposed fee increase.

Yep, I think it is time.

Hunters have come to the conclusion their best approach is to go ahead and just cut their nose off, since that would surely spite their face.

Dick Bodenhorn

·
Registered
16,541 Posts
then the anti hunting politicians can price us right out of the woods. wonder which politicians will set the seasons and bag limits. decide what firearms can be used.

ITS A MISTAKE TO LET THE LEGISLATURE HAVE CONTROL OF THE PGC OR THE PFBC

sorry, R.S.B. i could only hit the like button one time.

·
Registered
6,702 Posts
then the anti hunting politicians can price us right out of the woods. wonder which politicians will set the seasons and bag limits. decide what firearms can be used.

ITS A MISTAKE TO LET THE LEGISLATURE HAVE CONTROL OF THE PGC OR THE PFBC

sorry, R.S.B. i could only hit the like button one time.

That hasn't happened in the biggest anti gun state in the east......New York State.

·
Registered
6,702 Posts
I have reached the point where I am all for the Game Commission being folded into the DCNR.

Then wildlife management, and all other functions of the Game Commission, will be funded through tax dollars with the hunting license fees going to the state’s general fund account and used where ever the Legislature and Governor designate it to be used. They will no longer have a Board of Commissioners and instead a Secretary will head the agency.

I think it will be good because hunters will no longer have a voice at the Commission meetings since there will no longer be Commission meetings. They will still have a voice with their State Legislature, but they already have and use that. But, I don’t figure their voice is going carry much weight since hunters are less than 8% of the population and probably even less than that of the voting pool.

The license fees will no longer be a contentious matter for hunters because once the money is going to the state’s general fund the Legislature simply isn’t going to be at all concerned whether the hunters are happy about the price of the licenses and stamps or not. I’ll bet we never again see another period of even ten years, let alone, twenty year, between license increases.

Just think about how often the motor vehicle registration has increased over the past twenty years and how many time they came out and asked vehicle owners how they felt about an proposed fee increase.

Yep, I think it is time.

Hunters have come to the conclusion their best approach is to go ahead and just cut their nose off, since that would surely spite their face.

Dick Bodenhorn

When you get going on this, you start to sound like a obstetrician saying the baby won't be born if he isn't in the room.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Game Comm. and Fish and Boat Comm. both are GUTTING INFORSTRUCTURE to protect rising WAGES and PENSIONS. Where did Resource First go? Will any new moneys be earmarked for INFORSTRUCTURE ?

·
Registered
3,680 Posts
could never understand why there are 3 divisions...dcnr,pgc,pfbc,..combine all ...we were just talking about this a month ago about all the waste of money between the 3...combine and strengthen..most other states do it right why cant Pa.!

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
My opinion is the Agencies should remain separate. The PGC & the PFBC should in no way be merged with the DCNR. We the Hunters & Anglers of Pa. have a proud tradition of funding The Fish & Wildlife of this state. Why do we want to stop now. Allowing the legislature to make decisions for hunters & fishermen is a major mistak.

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
Game Comm. and Fish and Boat Comm. both are GUTTING INFORSTRUCTURE to protect rising WAGES and PENSIONS. Where did Resource First go? Will any new moneys be earmarked for INFORSTRUCTURE ?
Because by law the salaries & pensions must be paid. The resource first has not disappeared the funding has.
The increase is needed period. The resource is being hurt by the legislature, & hunters that do nothing but cry & complain.

·
Registered
9,622 Posts
The resource first has not disappeared the funding has. The increase is needed period. The resource is being hurt by the legislature, & hunters that do nothing but cry & complain.
Actually when the shale gas money started to roll in, they went on a spending spree instead of shoring up their finances. Fiscal responsibility at its worst. Give them a blank check and it will happen again.

try getting a license to carry a concealed weapon or to even have a handgun for protection in your own home.
What does that have to do with hunting seasons and licenses? I can hunt NY as a non-resident cheaper than they can come here and hunt Pa.

1 - 20 of 137 Posts