The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,027 Posts
I don't "get" this proposal - if you have a lot of undersize fish you should target those fish to keep. In this case instead of lowering the limit from 20-10 keep it at 20 of those 20 only 1 can be over 9". That way you protect the larger fish while culling the smaller overpopulated ones.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, they goofed with this regulation. There are thousands of crappie in there, but very few in the trophy range they were aiming at. I think they are shooting for a slab lake where 2+ lb crappie over 12 inches is the norm, not just a nice surprise.

·
Super Moderator
6,153 Posts
The lake is full of smaller size crappie. When shore fishing I get checked by Fish Wardens about every other outing. I've never had issues, but I'd think they make a lot of busts for undersized crappie. Perch also run on the small side. I'm spoiled from fishing Pymatuning.

·
Registered
301 Posts
its tuff ice fishing because you catch allot of almost 9 inch crappies I know if I catch one they need to be 9 1/2 because when thy freeze they shrink I know a guy told me he got hit for undersized crappies because they shrank and were just below 9

1 - 6 of 6 Posts