The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you guys use and carry with you when you are hunting and go to a new area where you may need a limb or two trimmed for a new area. I try to have all my spots ready before season, but sometimes you have to try a new unexpected tree and cut a limb out of the way. I've been using a folding gerber saw, works ok, but its wearing out, woulnd't mind having something that could extend a little bit to, but don't want to long when colapsed.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
I just saw a telescoping pruner the other week and I forget the name of it. Nice one, the way it looked. Made me think about getting one.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Sportsman Liqudation had Gerber combos on sale for 19.99
gave you a pruner, saw blade, extendable handle, and a nice little pouch to keep everything in

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
I take the chain saw!!!
Actually I have the Gerber too---7 yeras old now I think! Came with 2 blades.

·
Registered
16,275 Posts
Bunky said:
I take the chain saw!!!
We might have the same one... for the same amount of time too. I got mine for about 7 or 8 years now... and it's still as sharp as ever after helping me get into a hundred different trees with my climber I otherwise would have never been able to climb.

While I love hanging stands and using pre-set stand locations that are prepped and pruned ahead of time, sometimes you gotta get out the climber and make a quick move on a buck. I do this often, and this tool comes in serious handiness out there in the fall

Light, compact, and durable... and Gerber Quality.

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
When preseason trimming I use a 12' telescoping pruning saw.
During hunting season I carry a regular 12" folding pruning saw plus two zip ties. Using the zip ties, I'll fasten the saw to a strong stick that will give me the desired reach I need. Then cut away. It keeps the pack light and works every time. I purchased the gerber saw but returned it because it was too much to carry during the season and too short for preseason pruning.

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
I have the gerber saw also,that thing stays razor sharp. Browning had a nice one out also years ago.I try to get out by mid summer though and trim with my pole trimmer.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I'm almost embarassed to admit it but I've removed limbs that were far out of reach with my 12 Guage....******* style I guess...haha Obviously I dont do this during the hunting day, not that much of a *******...haha

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
There is a new saw out called the Hooyman. It comes in 10ft and 5ft models. I've have extendable saws before and they were garbage. Well I got the 10ft Hooyman and it's amazing! It cuts as well as my pocket gerber blade and is very sturdy, even out at 10 feet. It's not bulky to carry, since it folds down to only 26 inches or so. I cant wait to hit up some of my spots for 2010 and trim those annoying hard to reach branches. Only problem with the Hooyman is that it's a bit pricey...I think around 80 bucks for the 10ft model.

·
Super Moderator
13,200 Posts
I carry a cheap folding blade saw. It gets dull after a few years and I do a lot of cutting. There should be a tool to set the teeth and resharpen the blades but I have not looked into it yet.

I often use it to cut the big poison vines on possible stand trees during late winter so they will be dead and easy to pull down at the end of Summer.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I love my gerber exchange a blade saw, it's probably 8 years old and still cuts like a new one.
For those hard to reach limbs, I attached the saw to a long pole with some clamps.

·
Registered
973 Posts
i take the pruners with me but went to harbor freight and got the folding hand saw works great right price you can keep it in your bag just in case

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
4cslabs said:
Sportsman Liqudation had Gerber combos on sale for 19.99
gave you a pruner, saw blade, extendable handle, and a nice little pouch to keep everything in
I got one of those combos and the pruner took several pulls to cut a 2" branch. The saw is sharp though. I have several gerber knives and their quality for the money is great.

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
SpiritNugent said:
Bunky said:
I take the chain saw!!!
We might have the same one... for the same amount of time too. I got mine for about 7 or 8 years now... and it's still as sharp as ever after helping me get into a hundred different trees with my climber I otherwise would have never been able to climb.

While I love hanging stands and using pre-set stand locations that are prepped and pruned ahead of time, sometimes you gotta get out the climber and make a quick move on a buck. I do this often, and this tool comes in serious handiness out there in the fall

Light, compact, and durable... and Gerber Quality.
Yep----Mine is still sharp too---I use the fine blade to cut the deer and the coarse on trees.
I have the el cheepo 15 foot telescoping for pre season but found it too much to carry during the season---15 foot pole for some reason the deer spot me a mile away!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts