The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got the bug maybe for a bolt action rifle in 243 cal.I read alot of reviews on the savage Edge but i here the magizune box is plastic
I also read some good reviews on the t/c venture
I don't want to spend a bundle on a bolt action:I like the savage because of the barrel twist 1 in 9 1/2"
Thompson Center 1 in 10"
t/c on the other hand has the best warranty:I had dealing with savage back in the early seem they stand behind there product .I had a 99c could not shoot any better then 4" group at the 100 no matter what ammo I feed it they did replace the gun .

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Dicks Sporting Goods has been running sales on the Savage 11/111 FCXP3 (package rifle w/ DBM) for $350. IMO this is one of the best deals going on a Savage rifle. The scope's crap so I'd recommend just selling it cheap to recoupe a little money back.

I currently have 7 Savages/Stevens and I think they're great... but I wouldn't spend a dime on an Edge/Axis. I know Savage is selling the heck out of them, and most accuracy reviews are positive, but the build quality is sub-par and I question the long term durability and marketability of them.

I imagine the T/C Venture should be a good rifle but I have no first hand experience with them.

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
A yes vote for the T/C venture. My Son bought one and it is a shooter. Nice short bolt throw and the bolt is smooth. Has a softy recoil pad, really not needed on the .243. Also, has soft panels on the Pistol grip and forearm.

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Savage or Stevens 200.. Wood chuck is right, combo scopes are junk.

We have bought 3 of the Savage/stevens bolt guns in 243 over the last 4 years, for grandkids. All are shooting 1" or less from a bench with the kids shooting them. In N.C. last weekend these same rifles took 7 deer.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Actually for the money right now, the T/C ICON for $449.00 is about as good a deal as you can get for a top of the line bolt action synthetic stainless steel rifle.. you'd be hard pressed to beat the $449.00 anywhere...it's even available in the .30TC which is about like a short mag..that's only til' the 30th of the month..$150.00 rebate gets it there..

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
FWIW Dicks Sporting Goods has been running the Rem. 700 ADL in stainless/synthetic for $449. 'Tis the season for good deals on new rifles.

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I shot over to Dicks to day and did take a look at the t/c venture
I am not a fan on plastic stocks but overall it did catch my eye.
I was unlucky they did not have the cal. I was looking for they list them on sale for 439.00 plus tax regular price 479.00
I then would have the t/c rebate of 50.00 so it would be around the 399.00 mark
I did like the LOP 13 1/2" gun balanced o.k.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts