The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12,206 Posts
Thanks for posting this Heit. I have seen numerous pictures of failed guns on the net. Even one failure that was video taped as it happened. It is natural to question whether the reason is operator error because so many muzzle loaders have burst over the years due to improper charges/powder Just saw a cap and ball revolver picture with a cylinder split open Too many makers and shooters do not realize the problem of "work hardening" in modern alloys.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
I have heard before about the barrels exploding on these Savages. Me and my son each bought one the first year they came out with them, no problems, great shooting guns. I shoot 41 gr IMR 4227, Hornady 45 cal 250 gr HP/XTP, MMP Sabots, Winchester 209 Primers.

·
Registered
4,276 Posts
IMR 4227 powder? I thought you could only shoot black powder or the synthetics? I need educated I guess on this one.

·
Registered
12,206 Posts
The Savage was supposed to be a strong gun that could use smokeless loads. Seems they may be wrong. Even in the old days when semi smokeless powders were introduced, some were supposed to be OK for use in muzzle loaders, but not all muzzle loaders can take the breech pressures generated by smokeless and semi smokeless. Some had thinner barrel walls and weaker breech systems. they blew up just as the savage apparently now has problems. All muzzle loaders can have a problem when the bullet/ball is not fully seated on the powder. This problem would be exponentially worse with smokeless.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts