The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else shoot smokeless powder out of their Savage? I recently bought one and this will be my first season hunting with it. So far, I am in love with being able to use smokeless powder. Cleaning and care is a breeze and clover leaf groups at 100 yards is unbeatable!

·
Registered
9,485 Posts
Follow the manual on their recommendations and don,t sway from it.There has been some horror pics and stories on these rifles blowin up.Yes I know any rifle can blow,but their is no room for error here that,s why Savage thought it was in their best interest to stop producing these rifles.They are tack drivers from what I here.There is a good site that I haven,t been on gfor awhile that caters to Savages.If I,m not mistakin it is Savageshooters.com.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
I have had my Savage since 2002. My son also bought one about the same time. Great shooting guns. We shoot the smokeless IMR 4227, 41 grains, Hornady 250gr HP/XTP bullets, Winchester 209 primers, MMP Sabots. You may have to experiment with around 40 to 43 grains of powder to get a good grouping. I wasn't aware they had stopped manufacturing them. What year did that happen.

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Savage said they were going to stop... They technically have, but you can still special order them. All the hoopla about them blowing up in nonsense... Savage has tested them rigorously with some insanely high loadings, double loadings, etc and they did just fine.

·
Registered
9,485 Posts
Double check your research CJ and you,ll find more stories and pics of these rifles in massive mangled and twisted configurations.Some gave terrible injuries to the user.I think you would have one heck of a time buyin one from Savage unless it is a NOS piece.I wouldn,t doubt that they would make you sign a release.

·
Registered
205 Posts
good ole boy said:
Double check your research CJ and you,ll find more stories and pics of these rifles in massive mangled and twisted configurations.Some gave terrible injuries to the user.I think you would have one heck of a time buyin one from Savage unless it is a NOS piece.I wouldn,t doubt that they would make you sign a release.
Maybe you should double check your research good ole boy. The gun was not a good seller. Savage invested alot of time and money into producing this rifle and sales levels never came close to meeting their expectations. The Savage was pretty expensive and not quite your entry level muzzleloader. I agree they can be dangerous in the hands of a careless user, but then again, what firearm isn't?

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There were a lot of people our there trying to take a dump on Savage. So they made a lot of false claims, made up false photos and stories and defamed the gun. If they were so dangerous, I doubt Savage would still be in business with all the law suits it would have lost...

·
Registered
347 Posts
I shoot a 250 grain xtp with the mmp sabot, 46 grains of 4227 and winchester 209 primer. Shoots as well as any centerfire I own. It flat out knocks them down in their tracks. The Savage trigger is great! Good luck with it.

·
Registered
9,485 Posts
Sales were never a issue,and this rifle has a loyal following.I am a loyal Savage fan and have considered this rifle but didn,t cause my love for BP is with traditional firearms.I,m not bashin Savage,but the facts are that their has been documented very serious graphic accidents that most but not all have been proven to be the cause of operator error not Savages fault.But it has been enough for Savage to pull the plug.I read this from multiple press releases that came from Savage.Sales at first were slow(probably mostly because of the price) but were gettin better as this rifle,s potentials were known.Sales were never the reason this rifle was dropped and you,ll also notice that no other mfg.has jumped on board to produce their version.

·
Registered
205 Posts
This is Savages September 2011 Press release

News

ML II Smokeless Muzzleloader Update

Going into 2011, Savage made the decision to discontinue their muzzleloaders because of a lack of sufficient demand. In spite of the fact the 10ML was the best muzzleloader in the marketplace, sales did not justify continuation of this product.

Demand for the 10ML went through the roof when hunters and shooters heard the muzzleloader had been discontinued. Enough so, that Savage was convinced to make a one-time production run to meet this demand. Savage accepted orders from their distributors in January/February and is in the process of making all the 10ML’s that were ordered.

Savage continues to receive a lot of requests for the 10ML so the decision was made to continue to accept orders for these muzzleloaders and fill those orders to the best of our ability. However, the unprecedented demand for Savage centerfire products, led by the recent new product introductions, has created extraordinarily long lead times. We are currently working three shifts per day, six days a week but we do not anticipate “catching up” by the end of this year.

The two 10ML models currently being offered are:

# 17497 10ML-II 50 cal. blued barreled action / black synthetic stock

# 17503 10ML-II Camo 50 cal. Blued barreled action / camo synthetic stock

The future availability of stainless muzzleloaders will continue to be evaluated but all stainless material has been committed to cataloged models.

·
Registered
9,485 Posts
That update is only a month old.The press releases I,m talkin about were over a year or more ago.I never heard that they changed course.Your press release indicates that they decided to temporarely restart production cause of the demand since they stopped makin em.What was the price on the 2 that they are finishing their orders with?

·
Registered
205 Posts
I see them online for $550-$700. I think Savage will keep producing them on a special order basis. Pretty easy to get over a $1000 tied up in one before you even hit the range with it. I'm curious to see how long they will be around.

·
Registered
441 Posts
2nd deer down today with the savage 46.1 grains of powder and 300 grn bullet does the trick. The gun is very flat shooting. Its one of a kind.

·
Premium Member
24,318 Posts
CJBS,

I owned 2 Savage 10 ML II's. My first was a factory laminated & then I had a Henry Ball Custom built by his Son Bill Ball out of Greensboro, NC. 500 of these guns were built. I had mine media blasted(See below Pic) to remove the ss shine plus was supposed to better disapate bbl heat build-up. Henry holds the inventers patent on the 10 ML.

The gun is extremely well made plus with laminated stock...one purdy inline! With the add'l bedding pillar added & a lil customizing it will outshoot most CF's out there IMO.

Loadwise I shot many including AA5744(46 grains) plus SR4759 and others. My favorite bullet was Barnes MZ Expander in the 300 grain offering w/MMP HPH12 sabot. The AA load of 46 grains seems to produce the most consistent groups for me. Tha MZ Expanders bullet pushed by AA 5744 dropped several TN wild boar & deer with little refusal offered. Most dropped in their tracks.

I sold both guns for several reaons. First i expaeienced accuracy problems due to the ever eroding breechplug ventliner. Pending how hot the load i could see deterioration after 25-50 shots. Second...on warmer days I found that some sabots were blowing. A hot bbl also contributed to this on the range. This normally occurred when i was pushing loads past 2,200 fps though. Last...the gun is very heavy.

I have settled back to a TC Pro Hunter shooting 110 grains of BH 209 now with Barnes 290 grain T-EZ spirepoints. Think I will be with combo for a while...of course i said that before!

I enjoyed owning the Savage 10 ML-II and concluded its a well made gun(built like a tank) and was happy for the smokeless experience. Just sorta hard to give up the real smoke though!! lol

My Henry Ball Custom 10 ML-II

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
40 yard shot, 50 yard recovery this past Tuesday evening

50 yard shot, 25 yard recovery Saturday evening

Good test run for the upcoming Virginia muzzleloader season which starts Nov 5th, peak time to be chasing bucks. Can't wait!

Thanks for sharing your experience with the gun Loggy. My buddy got me into this gun and has really helped me along with it. I didn't wanna drop a pile of money into it, but have my full set up for a little less than $1000, gun, scope, mounts etc...

·
Premium Member
24,318 Posts
Way to go CJBS in breaking that 10 ML-II in the right way!! Much congrats!!

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Re: Savage ML 10 II-UPDATED! Buck down...

Well, my test runs on some PA does paid off... This Virginia bad boy went down in less than 10 yards when 250 grains of Hornady lead and copper turned his boiler room into jelly! He came out into an overgrown field edge I was hunting over and decided to check out a couple does that were right in front of my stand. After some chasing, grunting, roaring and antics he made the fatal mistake of stopping nearly broadside at 55 yards.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts