The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend and I were at the gun show in allentown yesterday. This will be his first year hunting so he wanted to buy a deer rifle. But he and I both have very limited budgets. We came across a brand new savage edge xp chambered in 30.06. He liked the looks of it and liked the way it shouldered. Then he saw the price tag and asked me is this a junk gun or what? He couldn't belive how cheap it was. I told him from the view reviews i read its a great out of the box shooter and a great priced entery level gun. So after some wheelin and dealin he got it for $300 including the scope, a sling, a soft rifle case, and a box of remme core loks. Sounded like a sweet deal to me. We left the show and went right to the range. First shot 50 yards 5"low left to right was dead on. After a little tweaking and only about 15 rounds he left with a big smile on his face with a 100 yard 3 shot group all touching eachother. Seems like a really nice gun for the money. Anyone else have one of these? How does everyone else like it?

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have one of these and with Remington 140 grs. get about a 4" group and with Prvi Partizan 140 grs I get a 3" group. I haven't had a chance to reload for this yet hopefully it will improve. If not it goes for a trade to something else. No trouble getting the clip out.

·
Super Moderator
4,565 Posts
If it shoots that bad don't trade it to someone.All that does is keep a bad gun in circulation.Call Savage and send it in to be checked/fixed.If you bought it new they should fix it.

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
dodge said:
I have one of these and with Remington 140 grs. get about a 4" group and with Prvi Partizan 140 grs I get a 3" group. I haven't had a chance to reload for this yet hopefully it will improve. If not it goes for a trade to something else. No trouble getting the clip out.
Try Federal ammo and switch to a 180gr. Different ammo and bullet weight make a difference.

·
Banned
13,401 Posts
I've had .30-06's that like 150's but not 180's and .30-06's that liked 180's but not 150's. But I have not yet seen a .30-06 that wouldn't shoot with either weight. Don't pass judgement until you try Federal 150 and 180's. I've not seen a .30-06 that won't shoot Federal ammo well yet.

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
dodge said:
Call Savage service at (413) 568-7001 and explain the problem. They'll arrange pickup, make any repairs, test fire and return the rifle generally with a test target. Turn around times are generally pretty quick, a week or two most times depending on the shipping distances involved and the work required.

Bill

·
Registered
6,454 Posts
Federal off the shelf ammo does shoot well in my 3006. I don't use 140 grainers I use 150 grain. That could be the problem.

I just purchased an accuracy barrel for my Encore.. With Remington factory ammo it did not group well at all. I started to think I had a lemon.. Then I used reloads...Everyone of the powders I used for the reloads grouped well.. from 1/4 to 1 inch...

·
Registered
7,171 Posts
if i shoot corelocs out of my 110 i hit every target down range except mine, federal premiums work the best with mine.

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
moosehunter said:
I've had .30-06's that like 150's but not 180's and .30-06's that liked 180's but not 150's. But I have not yet seen a .30-06 that wouldn't shoot with either weight. Don't pass judgement until you try Federal 150 and 180's. I've not seen a .30-06 that won't shoot Federal ammo well yet.
I've seen the exact same thing. One could compete in a target match while the other hits every other target down range. That was even after trying several different loads.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Been looking for a youth gun & was looking at the Savage Edge Youth Mdl. 243. On Savage's website I see they renamed the Edge to Axis. Any changes to the gun?

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
jmls1994 said:
On Savage's website I see they renamed the Edge to Axis. Any changes to the gun?
No, same rifle. Sources say the name change was due to infringement concerns over using the name "Edge".

Bill

1 - 12 of 12 Posts