The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a savage model 11 300 short mag and would like to convert it into a very accurate varmint gun.

Since its short action i was thinking a new varmint barrel and 6.5 creedmoor caliber. also new trigger and stock would be in order.

has anyone converted a gun like this before? any necessary info would be much appreciated? any steps that required alot of $ that isnt just the parts i listed above?

or i could always sell the 300 mag, get a 22-250 varmint and use that?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
857 Posts
A custom Savage had always been on my list and is something that you could do yourself at home.
Just a matter of screw the barrel off then on. You could go a little deeper (bedding the stock, etc).

If you don't wanna get that deep...trade it for one of Savage's varmint models. You won't be disappointed!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
661 Posts
Aren't you goint to need a new bolt/boltface as well as the WSM cartridge is wider than standard LA/SA calibers
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
661 Posts
If you want to tinker and spend a lot of money, go for it, but I think you'd be better suited trading that one for a 22-250 or .243. 6.5 is a great cartridge but a tad large for varmint. You'll be burning off a lot more powder with that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
131 Posts
6.5 Creedmoor is one of those calibers I've always wanted to try.Here's a link with some good info- Savage Rebarrel

The Great Orator said:
If you want to tinker and spend a lot of money, go for it, but I think you'd be better suited trading that one for a 22-250 or .243. 6.5 is a great cartridge but a tad large for varmint. You'll be burning off a lot more powder with that.
Could be wrong,but I think the powder usage is about equal compared to a .243,and a few grains more than a .22-250.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for all the great info. yes i will need a new bolt face. i think the creedmoor takes the regular 308 bolt face?

i was just wondering if there was something i was missing in the steps. im thinking of replacing the stock with a varmint style stock that is more suited for prone shooting, probably a criterion pre fit savage barrel, and a nice sharp shooters supply trigger or something like that.

i really want to mess wiht a 6.5. figured the creedmoor is a good start. and will fit in the short action. plus the 6.5 is better at bucking the wind than a 22-250.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,828 Posts
JMO
Barrel nut wrench
action wrench
headspace gauge , go/no go
bolt face
barrel
trigger
stock
Its up to you , but if money spent is to be considered you are better off buying a factory built rifle , if you want one you put together youself than by all means go for it , lots of self satisfaction going that route.
FYI the savage 12 long range precision is available in 6.5 creedmore over the counter.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,712 Posts
I would just buy the factory rifle as savage offers it in a few models. Thinking about one of those myself in Savage 11/111 Long Range Hunter or the 12 Long Range Precision in the 6.5 Creedmoor or 260 Rem. Would be a great long range coyote setup.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
715 Posts
So basically what you're saying is you have an action without a bolt and you want to build a semi custom rifle? I would start over with a LRPV, when the barrel is toast replace it with a Bartlien. Keep the WSM and try a 210 Berger, with somewhere around 61.3 grains of H4350, that combo is one of the best long range deals you can imagine
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
darkhollowarcher said:
JMO
Barrel nut wrench
action wrench
headspace gauge , go/no go
bolt face
barrel
trigger
stock
Its up to you , but if money spent is to be considered you are better off buying a factory built rifle , if you want one you put together youself than by all means go for it , lots of self satisfaction going that route.
FYI the savage 12 long range precision is available in 6.5 creedmore over the counter.
thanks for the reply.

I saw the savage LRP, do you know how much they usually sell for at a gun shop? i heard around $1,000?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Gunnermhr said:
So basically what you're saying is you have an action without a bolt and you want to build a semi custom rifle? I would start over with a LRPV, when the barrel is toast replace it with a Bartlien. Keep the WSM and try a 210 Berger, with somewhere around 61.3 grains of H4350, that combo is one of the best long range deals you can imagine
ive got a savage model 11, the entire rifle. but was thinking of converting it to a 6.5 creedmoor for long range groundhogs and coyotes. figured i would just use the action as a donor action because i got it pretty cheap. and not sure i want a 300 mag.

as for the bergers, i have a 7 mag right now that i have a load worked up for the 168 gr bergers. shoots great groups, i am a big fan of the bergers.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,557 Posts
justinc68 said:
i was just wondering if there was something i was missing in the steps.
The only other thing, your Wizzem probably has the 1.120x20 barrel tenon thread( large shank) instead of the 1.055" ( small shank). Something to keep in mind if you order a pre-threaded/chambered barrel.

You can buy a complete SA bolt(less ejector, spring) with the ~.470" face from Midway, $109+ shipping. Midway - Savage SA bolt

The ejector/spring are available directly from Savage, P/Ns 100129(ejector), 100131( ejector spring)) and 100130( ejector retaining pin). I suggest you purchase those parts directly from Savage. You'll understand why after you get them.

Other that those tidbits the other guys pretty much covered the field.

Bill
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
WildBill said:
justinc68 said:
i was just wondering if there was something i was missing in the steps.
The only other thing, your Wizzem probably has the 1.120x20 barrel tenon thread( large shank) instead of the 1.055" ( small shank). Something to keep in mind if you order a pre-threaded/chambered barrel.

You can buy a complete SA bolt(less ejector, spring) with the ~.470" face from Midway, $109+ shipping. Midway - Savage SA bolt

The ejector/spring are available directly from Savage, P/Ns 100129(ejector), 100131( ejector spring)) and 100130( ejector retaining pin). I suggest you purchase those parts directly from Savage. You'll understand why after you get them.

Other that those tidbits the other guys pretty much covered the field.

Bill
Thanks bill. thats the kind of information i like. exact parts numbers and everything. and that seems to be the way to go. Thank you and thanks everyone else.

also bill, how can i determine if it is a small shenk vs large shenk? take the barrel off and measure length of threaded area?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
131 Posts
Here's what Sharp Shooter Supply says about the shank sizes-
In 2002 Savage offered rifles in the Winchester Short Magnum (WSM) and Remington Ultra Magnum (RUM) calibers. When these were finally in the catalog, there was a change made to the barrel shank diameter. Standard barrel shank diameter on standard calibers are 1.055" x 20tpi. On the new WSM, RUM, and SAUM calibers it is 1.120" x 20tpi. The barrel nut is also bigger in internal size, but is the same outer diameter and our barrel nut wrench will still fit. Savage also used this size of shank on the first version of the Model 10ML muzzleloader.
However, there were a few WSM and RUM rifles made on the standard barrel shank in the first production run. The best way to tell is to measure the barrel shank right against the nut. The larger barrel shank will have a step down approximately 1/8" ahead of the barrel nut. If your rifle has a serial number with a "G" prefix, it is most probable it will have the larger shank.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
PAb0whunt3r said:
Here's what Sharp Shooter Supply says about the shank sizes-
In 2002 Savage offered rifles in the Winchester Short Magnum (WSM) and Remington Ultra Magnum (RUM) calibers. When these were finally in the catalog, there was a change made to the barrel shank diameter. Standard barrel shank diameter on standard calibers are 1.055" x 20tpi. On the new WSM, RUM, and SAUM calibers it is 1.120" x 20tpi. The barrel nut is also bigger in internal size, but is the same outer diameter and our barrel nut wrench will still fit. Savage also used this size of shank on the first version of the Model 10ML muzzleloader.
However, there were a few WSM and RUM rifles made on the standard barrel shank in the first production run. The best way to tell is to measure the barrel shank right against the nut. The larger barrel shank will have a step down approximately 1/8" ahead of the barrel nut. If your rifle has a serial number with a "G" prefix, it is most probable it will have the larger shank.
ok mine does have the prefix "G" so it is probably the larger shank.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,557 Posts
justinc68 said:
PAb0whunt3r said:
Here's what Sharp Shooter Supply says about the shank sizes-
In 2002 Savage offered rifles in the Winchester Short Magnum (WSM) and Remington Ultra Magnum (RUM) calibers. When these were finally in the catalog, there was a change made to the barrel shank diameter. Standard barrel shank diameter on standard calibers are 1.055" x 20tpi. On the new WSM, RUM, and SAUM calibers it is 1.120" x 20tpi. The barrel nut is also bigger in internal size, but is the same outer diameter and our barrel nut wrench will still fit. Savage also used this size of shank on the first version of the Model 10ML muzzleloader.
However, there were a few WSM and RUM rifles made on the standard barrel shank in the first production run. The best way to tell is to measure the barrel shank right against the nut. The larger barrel shank will have a step down approximately 1/8" ahead of the barrel nut. If your rifle has a serial number with a "G" prefix, it is most probable it will have the larger shank.
ok mine does have the prefix "G" so it is probably the larger shank.
Small/large shank barrels.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,467 Posts
Yes its cheaper to buy the new rifle you want, just as you have planned. But since you have the action, do it yourself and have the satisfaction of being a wannabe gunsmith. There are several places today offering good quality pre chambered barrels. Here is one:www.pac-nor.com. I think Douglas does the same. You can install the barrel with go and no-go guages (2 for about $30), and you will need a barrel wrench, about $25. Check the Midway catalog. Get their bolt face for about $15. Follow instructions carefully. If yours has an Accu-Trigger, do not change it. Once you get used to it, its a piece of cake. Finally, you will have no trouble finding a drop in synthetic stock for Savage. Good luck!
 
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Top