The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was hunting at a friends small cabin and his son was telling me about a doe he had harveted. He bought a new Axis and shot it in with factory ammo. It is a 308 Win. He carries a range finder!
He tells me how he was hunting along a cut corn field and seen a doe at the other end. He ranged it at 150 yards and decided to take a shot. He held on its neck and fired!!!! The doe dropped right there! He was amazed. He tells me"It hit right were i aimed!"
All his hunting had been done with a 30-30 prior to this gun?
The son is in his 30's The gun is box stock no trigger work done to it?
These Savage guns sure aren't Weatherbys or Brownings but sure do shoot well!!!!!

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
I'm a big fan of Savage rifles, and it's great that he had a successful hunt with his new rifle, but 150 yards isn't a long shot for a modern rifle & cartridge. Maybe my perception is skewed because I'm used to taking longer shot with my "deer rifles" when I'm groundhog hunting. Also, with most rifles being capable of MOA accuracy (or better), 150 yards is a chip shot on a deer in a field.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
RobOz said:
I would take a Savage over a Abolt.
Me too! I own several Savages and never had one disappoint me on accuracy or performance in over 50 years of hunting.

·
Super Moderator
24,066 Posts
great white hunter said:
RobOz said:
I would take a Savage over a Abolt.
Savage has come a long way! The ones i own shoot just as good if not better than my rem's.
What GW said

·
Registered
5,350 Posts
I would put my Savage 220F 20 gauge up against any other slug gun on the market as far as accuracy is concerned!

·
Registered
8,072 Posts
I will be trading my CVA pistol for the savage axis in 243 on sunday. Hoping it lives up to the hype. I just held one and checked it out in a sporting good store. Seems pretty light weight and decent. The action seemed a little grabby, but for what I am trading to get it, I can accept that. I think it will be a fun target gun, and varmint.

No so sure I will be using it on deer or not yet as I just got a 7mm-08 as well.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts