The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any experience with these? All opinions wanted good or bad. Thanks, Dustin

·
Banned
13,401 Posts
I had one in .22-250 for a little while. It seemed too chinsy to me and I got a Marlin Xl7 instead. The Marlin is twice the gun the Edge is.

·
Registered
9,479 Posts
I am a big Marlin fan but like Savages too.Don,t you miss not havin a detachable mag though moose?I know I would.That and not havin a hinged floor plate has been keepin me from buyin one.

·
Banned
13,401 Posts
good ole boy said:
I am a big Marlin fan but like Savages too.Don,t you miss not havin a detachable mag though moose?I know I would.That and not havin a hinged floor plate has been keepin me from buyin one.

Yes, I do. But I have other guns and not every single rifle I own needs to have a hinged floorplate or detachable mag. If it was my one and only gun I may feel different.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
I'm a big fan of Savage rifles but the Axis is not one of them. People are getting good accuracy with them but the overall build quality is severly lacking. The Stevens 200 or Marlin XS/XL series are much better rifles for not much more money. If you don't mind waiting Dicks Sporting Goods sells the Savage model 11FCXP3 package rifles (non-accutrigger with detachable magazine) for $350 in the fall.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
You have to realize something. The Axis is a great shooting rifle. The quality is less than others,I agree, but it's $279. Thats less than the Stevens 200 or the Marlin x series. A guy could afford to buy two. You have to accept the fact that you're only paying $279 and it's a truck rifle or a starter gun,not a model 700 or a m 77mkII with glossy blueing and nice furniture. There is no comparison between this rifle and the much more expensive ones. BUT, if you want a MOA or better rifle that you don't have to worry about buggering up, it's not a bad choice.

·
Premium Member
23,866 Posts
have an 11 & thought that was bare bones savage. like it though...good shooter.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts