The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
looking into getting a 308 in the not too distant future. don't want to spend a whole lot of money. I've seen these for around $400.00. anybody have one or your thoughts on it.

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
Took a axis on a trade a while back , its a entry level gun (whatever that means) it was scary accurate ,has a poor trigger, but can be made much better with a little TLC. some complain about the stock being flimsy (didnt bother me). has a detachable magazine (a plus) overall fit and finish is about what one should expect on a econonomy priced rifle. my thoughts buy it. a good buy for your buck.

·
Registered
4,333 Posts
Just ordered 1 for my son in 06. Its what he wanted for Christmas local gunshop has the package for 319 and some change. See how it shoots when it gets here.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Its a very good and accurate rifle the only thing i dont like about it is the action is a little tough and the triggers a little heavy.But other than that it it a great gun buy it. Some things that are cheap are overlooked because it isnt a remington 700 or an expensive browning. Savage Rifles are wickedly accurate.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Great little guns. Triggers are heavy but can be tweaked by trimming spring. Scopes aren't great. I would get the gun for $289 and pick out my own scope. Bushnell trophy or something along the line. Take a look at the Ruger American. Little better all around but need to add a scope to that as well.

·
Registered
4,333 Posts
Let you know when we get to shoot my sons. From what I saw when I looked at them nice rifle not the spit and polish of a more expensive 1 but it will get the job done its intended for.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Dollar for dollar and inch for inch the axis is one of the best rifles ever made for under $300.00 period. Bought one in 25/06 that shoots as good as any factory rifle I've ever seen.. wouldn't hesitate for a second to but another one.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
I have a 3006 Axis. Its a decent gun for the money. The action is alot better than any of the other economy rifles (Remington, Mossberg...) but its far from great. The scope is servicable, hasn't broke yet, haha. The trigger is very stiff.
That being said, its still a decent gun for $350. Its very well balanced and points well. Very nice matte finish on the barrel. I bought mine to use as a "beater gun" for rainy days when my good rifles don't leave the house and it serves the purpose very well.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts