The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a Savage Model 99C in .308 cal. I bought it 1970, plus or minus a few years. Serial number looks to be C0223XX. Just wonder if any one could date it better than I can. Never used it much. VG condition. Might be thinking of peddling it. And info would be greatly appreciated. TNX
DennyB

·
Registered
6,416 Posts
I might could help you in a week or so.

My brother's outta town. But he and my (late) dad have a consecutive SN pair of 99C .308's (+/- 1973 or 1974).

He could probably tell you the day of the week they bought them.

I bought one in 1980. One of the most miserable guns I ever owned. Traded it on a Model 70 Lightweight Carbine .308 WONDERFUL rifle !!!!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Super. Would appreciate it very much. There are a lot more better rifles out there now. Tnx Denny

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
I own a Savage Model 99C in .308 cal. I bought it 1970, plus or minus a few years. Serial number looks to be C0223XX. Just wonder if any one could date it better than I can.
DennyB
Denny, if you want to see the history(actual mfg date, etc) of your 99 contact Savage Arms, they received all John Callahan's 99 records after he retired.
I had my old B "lettered" by John years ago.

Bill

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
I might could help you in a week or so.

My brother's outta town. But he and my (late) dad have a consecutive SN pair of 99C .308's (+/- 1973 or 1974).

He could probably tell you the day of the week they bought them.

I bought one in 1980. One of the most miserable guns I ever owned. Traded it on a Model 70 Lightweight Carbine .308 WONDERFUL rifle !!!!
Surprised to hear negative feedback on a 99 Savage. I've shot my dad's .300 and it's a tack driver. Very nice trigger. The only thing I wouldn't like is the lack a detachable magazine, and having to cycle all of the shells out one by one to unload. What didn't you like about the rifle? Btw, I was like that with a post '64 Winchester 88 in .308. That gun and I were just not compatible.

·
Super Moderator
4,749 Posts
A savage 99 must be a personal thing.I never had the desire to own one.308 might not grab much money either.250 probably would.I'm not a 99 nut though.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Always want a 99 in 300 Savage, so if you don't want yours I would would be honored to accept a gift.

·
Registered
6,416 Posts
Surprised to hear negative feedback on a 99 Savage. I've shot my dad's .300 and it's a tack driver. Very nice trigger. The only thing I wouldn't like is the lack a detachable magazine, and having to cycle all of the shells out one by one to unload. What didn't you like about the rifle? Btw, I was like that with a post '64 Winchester 88 in .308. That gun and I were just not compatible.

The one I had was just a LOUSY rifle.

Kicked like a mule for a .308 Win...………….about a 10 lb. trigger...………..an action that had all the smoothness of a set of tank tracks...……….and it was a 3 MOA shooter on its BEST day. P.O.S. !!!

Now...………...I shot an old buddy's .250 Savage (the only 99 I ever saw stamped ".250 Savage" and not ".250-3000") and it was butter smooth and accurate as well.

Go figger.

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
I bought a new Savage 99-358 back in 1977 for I believe $330 with an M4 Leupold scope. Sold it to a friend later when I needed money. Bad mistake.

·
Registered
10,130 Posts
I bought a new Savage 99-358 back in 1977 for I believe $330 with an M4 Leupold scope. Sold it to a friend later when I needed money. Bad mistake.
OMG-I've seen those going for over $2200. I would love to have a 99 in .358, but I'm not sure I want to pay THAT for a rifle that I'm going to carry and use much.

·
Registered
6,416 Posts

Uh huh...………….

On the same day I bought my .308 Win...………….on the same rack...……...for the same price...……...were a bunch of.284's and .358's And I bought the WRONG, dumb one.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Cannot recall the website when I did a search on my 99F 284. I do remember it was made in 1965. It's pleasant to shoot this rifle. Cannot say the same in the 99C 243 cal. Dad had. The 99F 284 cal. was my grandfather deer rifle. Dad inherent the rifle in the early 70's. Dad loved that rifle. Now it's been in my possession since 2004. The 99F 284 cal. will go to my son when God calls me home.

I redid the stock & forearm with 14-16 coats of tru-oil this past summer. The old varnish was flaking off really easy. I use to build small cabinets & display case's from Oak & Cherry wood so I have the experience how to do a good job. I installed a new recoil pad too. It came out as I expected & had high hopes with that rifle sling over mine or my son shoulder this past deer season. The rain we had without thinking twice, she stayed indoor's in the safe.

I don't care what the 99F 284 cal. going rates are these days, to me that rifle is priceless.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Cannot recall the website when I did a search on my 99F 284. I do remember it was made in 1965. It's pleasant to shoot this rifle. Cannot say the same in the 99C 243 cal. Dad had. The 99F 284 cal. was my grandfather deer rifle. Dad inherent the rifle in the early 70's. Dad loved that rifle. Now it's been in my possession since 2004. The 99F 284 cal. will go to my son when God calls me home.

I redid the stock & forearm with 14-16 coats of tru-oil this past summer. The old varnish was flaking off really easy. I use to build small cabinets & display case's from Oak & Cherry wood so I have the experience how to do a good job. I installed a new recoil pad too. It came out as I expected & had high hopes with that rifle sling over mine or my son shoulder this past deer season. The rain we had without thinking twice, she stayed indoor's in the safe.

I don't care what the 99F 284 cal. going rates are these days, to me that rifle is priceless.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I bought my Savage 99C in 284 Win. in the early '80s, not caring about collector value. I fitted it with MPI synthetic stocks, Williams FP aperture rear and ramp hooded front sights, Williams see-through scope mounts compatible with the aperture sights, and a Lisenfeld 3-9x42 scope with a German no. 4 reticle. It was my mountain rifle when I lived in Germany, using it for hunting chamois in the Bavarian Alps. After jumping through all the hoops imposed by German regulations to become a licensed hunter and handloader, I handloaded 284 Win. ammo with a 140 gr. Nosler Ballistic Tip for hunting chamois and roedeer. Off a benchrest, my handloads printed groups no larger than 50.8 cm (2") at 100 meters (109 yards). I won't part with this rifle.

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
Hi...welcome to the site.

You have just fallen into the "date trap" on Hunt PA.

If you look at the date of the previous posts you will see this conversation occurred in 2018.

The software posts "related" subjects and often brings up conversations from as much as 10 years ago, causing them to look like new posts.

I only point this out in case nobody else shows much interest in your post....

Again, welcome to the site.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts