The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello gentelmen, i just picked up a used Savage 99 in 300 sav. Its in very good shape, no wearing on the bluing near the action and it has the rotary counter. I paid $375 for this gun and it has a letter ( E ) stamped in it near the lever pivot. the serial num. is 407018 Would anyone know what year or any info on this gun? Thank you for your time

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
Gun should be 1941 with that SN. How about a pic? If it has a full pistol grip stock, and its a model EG, you have a
$1000 rifle if its original.

·
Banned
751 Posts
Joe, you know your stuff, 99s are my forte, and I have never saw a 99 eg in 300 savage do 1000. Not tryin to argue, however I think a pre war 300 eg in mint original condition does 800 tops, no matter, it was a steal even if it has something unoriginal, ie pad drilled, etc. any other caliber and I agree, however the 300 savage is by far in large the caliber with the largest production and the eg was the most produced 300. Very common rifle and caliber. Lenny

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
You are probably on the money Lenny, I was going by his statement of no wear at all. I really hope its a carbine, then I'll race you to his house to make an offer, LOL! It sounds like he got a heck of a deal.

·
Banned
751 Posts
eg is the dsignation, no true meaning...99/1899s have too many models to go over, however if you are going to have an eg 300 savage a pre war is the one to have. yours is right about the same time they started checkering them(the 1st model egs were not checkered), i cant see if it has original metal butt plate, the sling studs are not original, however remainder of rifle looks awwweeesommm! You definitely have a $600 gun there and maybe a little more. is that rear sight a blank or a fold down, i cant tell from the pics. lenny

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
The letter designation of a Savage 99 has a specific five part meaning. The five criteria are:
barrel weight
checkering
butt type
forend type
sights
These five factors designate the meaning of the letter code, in the case of your gun, you have an EG II. Here is what makes it an EG II
Medium weight barrel contour
Pistol grip checkered
Steel shotgun butt
Straight Schnabel forend
Bead in raised ramp sights
There are 23 specific and recognized model distinctions of the 99 Savage. That does not include specials and customs. As you might imagine, it becomes mind boggling, but I do have the references for all of them. Yes, each letter code indeed has a specific meaning. You have a sweet gun there, I know a fistful of guys that would fight over it for $800, no joke, good buy!

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wow, thanks joe.. The gun does have a steel butt pad on it. It is also drilled and tapped for rings. I didn't know much about these rifles except that charlie bronson had one in "death hunt" and they feel amazing.. My uncle also bought 2 savage 99's off the same guy. Would you guys care to give me some info on his? Ill try to get some pics. loaded up soon. I know one is a 300 sav. with a beefier stock and the other is a 30-30

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Ok boys here they are, The rifle with the Scope is the 30-30 sav. 99 The serial is 604836
The sav. 99 without the scope is a 300 sav. serial #110707 and the letter ( R ) near the front of the lever. Any info would be greatly appriciated. thank you

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
Need better pics, from the top and sides. Tell us what type of safety each one has.
Your 30-30 , from your serial number given, should be 1951-52-or possibly 53.
Look really close at the lever boss on the 30-30, there should be a little oval with a letter in it, its hard to see. Should be a c,d, or e.
The serial number you provide for the 300 should be 1910 or 1911, but the 300 Savage wasnt out until 1920.
Are you mixing up the two numbers? Interesting, more pics please! Understand I am speculating based on your info, not sure of anything yet.
The more I look at the pic, the more I think the 30-30 has been restocked with a much newer buttstock.

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
Showed your pic to a few gurus this morning, they think as I do the serial numbers are switched in your post.
Your 30-30 looks to be the 1910 gun ( 110707 )
Square lever and pattern reflect the model 1899
( They were not called model 99 until 1920. )
Your 300 looks to be the early fifties gun ( 604836 )
Round lever and checkering point in that direction.
If your 30-30 has not been restocked, its had some stock work done. Post up some more pics when you can!

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
the dude said:
Would anyone know what year or any info on this gun? Thank you for your time
Well, for 30 bucks you can have it "lettered"

John T. Callahan,
Savage Arms Historian
PO Box 82
Southampton, MA, 01073
(Savage 1895's, 1899's and 99's are $30.00)

Send the S/N, a check and about 6-8 weeks later you'll have whatever info he has.

For example, Mr. Callahan's letter for my "B"

Bill

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
That is a sweet gun Bill, not many have ever laid hands on a 99 B. John did all the letters for my Fox shotguns. He is a class act and very respected.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks gentleman, i will try to post up some pics of the 30-30 when i get a chance. and i will recheck the serial nums.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts