The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I picked up a 99 in 300 Savage made in 1952. It's mechanically solid and the bore is good. The wood is very good. The blueing on bottom of receiver and sides is worn off,which I know is normal for these guns. My question is, should I have it reblued and have a beautiful 99, or let it go and have an original 99? Don't have much money in it and don't plan on selling it. Opinions will be appreciated. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Sounds like you got a grand old 99 in a classic cartridge. Leave her be and add to her history by using it as is. IMO honest wear is a plus! Enjoy it as is.

Muab

·
Banned
751 Posts
WHY PUT MORE MONEY IN IT? I HAVE RECENTLY STARTED COLLECTING 99S AND AM UP TO 6 OF THEM. 3 300 SAVAGES, 1 30-30, 1 308, AND 1 303 SAVAGE. THEY ALL HAVE THEIR OWN BUMPS AND BRUISES BUT THATS WHAT GIVES THEM CHARACTER. JUST MY OPINION.

·
Registered
7,781 Posts
I have almost a dozen of them- two 358's, three 250-3000's,two 284's, a 243,and three 300's...I wouldn't touch any of them, prefer to leave them the way their original owners had them.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I have a 99 in the 358 Win. Mine is the same shape today as it was when my grandfather carried it. Leave it alone and enjoy it.

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Really your decision. The carry point on 99s is on the metal receiver, so hand acid wears away the blueing. If it is perfect in other respects and planned to keep it to hunt and admire...then I'd get it nicely reblued. then it would be perfect.
If the hand wear was my fathers, i'd not blue it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've got 99's in 358, 284, and 300 Savage. As much as I love these rifles, they are a bugger to positively identify model and sometimes years of production. To be frank, there aren't a lot of 300 Savage 99s that are going to bring big bucks in our lifetimes unless it is an oddity or was owned by a celebrity. Further, if it has a thumb safety, it probably isn't going to bring bucks in your kids life either. Refinish it, shoot the [censored] out of it and enjoy it for what it is... a legendary workhorse in a caliber that will do anything 99.9% of hunters need done. All my 99's have HEAVY triggers but shoot like demons. For the man who likes lever actions, this is the "Rifleman's Rifle". Oh yeah, you can use spitzer bullets in them also.

·
Registered
32 Posts
These are getting to be rare rifles and even rarer to find them in original condition. I would be happy with it as is. That is a fine rifle you have. What model do you have?

MH

·
Registered
32 Posts
COL K said:
I've got 99's in 358, 284, and 300 Savage. As much as I love these rifles, they are a bugger to positively identify model and sometimes years of production. To be frank, there aren't a lot of 300 Savage 99s that are going to bring big bucks in our lifetimes unless it is an oddity or was owned by a celebrity. Further, if it has a thumb safety, it probably isn't going to bring bucks in your kids life either. Refinish it, shoot the [censored] out of it and enjoy it for what it is... a legendary workhorse in a caliber that will do anything 99.9% of hunters need done. All my 99's have HEAVY triggers but shoot like demons. For the man who likes lever actions, this is the "Rifleman's Rifle". Oh yeah, you can use spitzer bullets in them also.
Look at the prices of an original 99T or 99K in 300 Sav and you may adjust your opinion on a 99 in 300 Savage.

·
Registered
5,102 Posts
MichiganHunter said:
Look at the prices of an original 99T or 99K in 300 Sav and you may adjust your opinion on a 99 in 300 Savage.
You got that right....Just picked up an original, minty T...and was glad to get it for what I had to give....the R and RS models can still be found.

IMO, I would not refinish/alter an R or RS unless it absolutely had to be done....

·
Registered
5,643 Posts
I've posted this before but heres a quick reference as far as dating 99's. Enter the serial # to find dates prior to 1950 which are a little harder to discern.
http://www.savage99.com/savage99_dates.htm

From 1949-1970 savage used a series of letter designations which made dating much easier.

Here is a complete list of the Lever Boss Codes and their corresponding year of manufacture:
A= 1949
B= 1950
C= 1951
D= 1952
E= 1953
F= 1954
G= 1955
H= 1956
I= 1957
J= 1958
K= 1959
L= 1960
M= 1961
N= 1962
O= SKIPPED
P=1963
Q= SKIPPED
R= 1964
S= 1965
T= 1966
U= 1967
V= 1968
W= 1969
X= 1970

·
Registered
32 Posts
Being a 99R, I would suspect that it is quite the shooter. Also, the 99R seems to be much more comfortable to shoot than the 99F in the same caliber. Great rifle.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Haven't shot it yet. I am not versed in the differences of all the models, but I'm reading as much as I can. The "R" seems to describe my rifle the best. I have not seen any references on the RS

1 - 20 of 34 Posts